That is what environmentalist want.
This is why people calling themselves environmentalists have opposed:
1) all hydrocarbon development of any kind, including natural gas and fracking (which oddly enough plays well with the coal lobby...)
2) wind power because of the non-existent "negative health impacts of infrasound"
3) solar power under the false auspices of "concerns about toxins"
4) long-range power transmission (building new transmission lines or upgrading/expanding old ones) because of concerns about the non-existent "electro-sensitivity" of some psychologically disturbed individuals
5) nuclear power development because "environmentalists" have prevented anything being done to improve waste disposal or development of newer and safer reactors over the past 30 years
And so on.
Every self-proclaimed "environmentalist" will tell you they are all for "new technology" but turn out to be absolutely against any particular project you specifically mention.
Given that someone calling themself an "environmentalist" is opposed to every single option other than returning to the stone age, it is a little difficult to reclaim the term at this point.