Want to read Slashdot from your mobile device? Point it at m.slashdot.org and keep reading!

 



Forgot your password?
typodupeerror

Comment Re:VIM (Score 1) 1007

and since vim supports lots of network access methods, you can easily put shortcuts on all of the computers you use and pass the password file back and forth in its encrypted form. I personally keep mine on a server that is accessibly via ssh from anywhere.

Comment Re:How Much Damage? (Score 1) 289

According to this (I didn't verify any facts) - http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_much_of_the_Earths_surface_is_inhabited_by_humans

About 1% of the surface is inhabited. So, an impact should directly affect people about once every 500 years. Maybe it's the next time?

That 1% is a shit answer. The link you provided states that 90% of the population occupies 3% of the land. That says nothing about how much of the remaining 97% of the land is occupied by the remaining 10% of the population.

For example, a very large farm would have a population density that would put it square into that nebulous 97%, but I would consider that farm to be part of the human habitat in that it is used to cultivate food to support the 90% of us who live in densely-populated areas.

Comment Re:Want to get more basic research? (Score 1) 552

You have that in all industries where the few make large amounts of money that the rest don't.

But as the anonymous coward said the real problem here is that the few drive the whole group.

Show me the engineer or scientist that is making 30 mil per movie? Really I want to see that engineer or scientist...

Are you insane?

  • Bill Gates (Microsoft)
  • Steve Ballmer (Microsoft)
  • Larry Page (Google)
  • Sergey Brin (Google)
  • Larry Ellison (Oracle)
  • Steve Jobs (Apple)
  • Jeff Bezos (Amazon)
  • Michael Dell (Dell)

And these are just a few that I came up with off the top of my head and taking a quick look at wikipedia for the richest people in the world.

Comment Re:Fox News (Score 1) 881

Sadly, there are a LOT of americans that watch (and believe!) Fox news. Worse, they parrot all of the propaganda as if it were truth. I also know some americans who think that all new sources have the same level of bias as Fox, so they also watch CNN and they think that they are getting a valid viewpoint by splitting the difference between what Fox is spewing and what CNN is reporting. Not that I'm really defending CNN, as they also have a lot of junk. But that is really due to the 24-hour news cycle more than any innate bias.

Comment Re:Contracts aren't what they used to be... (Score 1) 300

I'm paying Virgin Mobile at least $20 every 90 days with $0.18 per minute. That works out to about 37 minutes of usage per month on average. It's not like the "minutes" expire (there may be a cap that I'm not aware of). It really is a good deal. The only problem is that coverage is not good AT ALL. I go through several dead zones just on my commute to work. Sure beats the hell out of my wife's $40/month verizon plan.
Networking

Journal Journal: Verizon FIOS router config notes

I used to have a review here describing my experiences with getting Verizon FiOS. Specifically, I included the procedure that I used to renumber my LAN using the Actiontec router they provided.

Well, my original router died and I had to have Verizon send me a new one. I had a surprisingly good experience with Verizon tech support, by the way. Their automated voice prompt system was annoying but not much more annoying than a foreign call center drone reading from a script would be.

Comment Re:Yawn. (Score 1) 1088

My point is that he ruined a perfectly good argument by introducing unnecessary bias. One thing that the electoral college does well is keep such problems localized so the worst case is something like Florida in 2000. You could argue that the chances of the national popular vote being that close are miniscule, it would still be possible, and I would have to wonder if we would survive such a thing as a country without the electoral college to narrow the scope of the problem.

The electoral college is good for other reasons as well. If anything, my gripe is in the way we have to vote for one and only one candidate. As noted in much older stories on /. this is not very effective from a gaming theory perspective.

Slashdot Top Deals

* UNIX is a Trademark of Bell Laboratories.

Working...