Want to read Slashdot from your mobile device? Point it at m.slashdot.org and keep reading!


Forgot your password?

Comment Re:As a manager (Score 1) 655

It all comes down to liking what you do

While I basically agree with this - that's not enough. I've met great, willing and dedicated guys who did a fantastic development job for 99% of the project lines of code. The rest, 1% of the code, was typically what makes a difference when you hold a degree: algorithms. One guy had a hard time assessing the complexity of his own algorithms - even roughly - this is math. Another one had no clue about race conditions. The problem is the 1% may take 99% of the dev time to get identified / fixed / rewritten.

Please stop hiring unqualified people.

Comment Re:Good news for stockholders (Score 1) 633

Microsoft's stock jumps up 10%

Interesting. But, what do people expect? How the new one will be chosen? At the time, Gates didn't want to be eclipsed too easily, and his Jobs complex helping, he had someone not-that-charismatic-(...) taking over as CEO. Maybe this time MS will finally benefit from a competent leader? Someone from outside, obviously.

Comment Re:Despite all of the complaining about it... (Score 1) 627

Well, "rm -rf / test" or "rm -rf /$x" where $x is empty are certainly dangerous if run as "root", but at least you may get a system crash before "/home/me" is reached - thus reinstalling the system while preserving the home FS may give you all your valuable data back.

Run as "me", the same command will not crash the system, but will surely destroy all what's important for you (if you keep the command running, like in a script).

Sure, handling particular cases is not best practice, but "/" certainly deserves a special mention in "rm", since the fatal "rm -rf / test /$x" does happen, even from experienced SysAdmins. Basically if any of "rm" args is "/", the command should simply abort with a message.

Slashdot Top Deals

Steve Jobs said two years ago that X is brain-damaged and it will be gone in two years. He was half right. -- Dennis Ritchie