Furthermore, those 15% of users are typically the ones in a position to support the product and make recommendations to the other 85%. Pissing off this subset of people was a terrible idea.
it's not negatively harming others
In the case of geohot and the PS3 hacking, Sony might argue that it is harming their business. Because corporations are people, after all.
The only downside is extensions
I've been loving Firefox for years, but this fast release schedule is driving me nuts. Every time a new "major" version comes out now, at least one or two of my extensions break. The first one to go (on FF4) was Ubiquity, which still isn't fixed, and the stupid thing about that is Ubiquity is a Mozilla Labs extension. It's pretty sad when their own damn extensions can't even keep up, let alone 3rd party stuff.
So, back to your point about extensions being the only downside, honestly, do we use Firefox for any other reason? I could have ditched FF for Chrome or even IE9 (shudder) but it's the extensions that make Firefox so awesome, and that's what's suffering the most with this bullshit release schedule.
We don't know who it was that discovered water, but we're pretty sure that it wasn't a fish. -- Marshall McLuhan