What GNOME really needs (in my mind):
* better dual screen support
* customizable virtual desktops (different layouts for work, entertainment etc) - would be cool if the second display could be one virtual desktop
* fixed theme management (everything should be configured from one place)
* "run as root" in the menu under right mouse click
* "open terminal in current location"
* better drag&drop
* better networking configuration (usb and bluetooth modems) - like to see why something isn't working.
gnome doesn't need new menus..these are already great.
maybe a search bar for programs in the application menu. like in win7 and mac