Want to read Slashdot from your mobile device? Point it at m.slashdot.org and keep reading!


Forgot your password?

Submission + - Uproar as MW2's IW announces No Dedicated Servers

An anonymous reader writes: Infinity Ward's Robert Bowling (aka fourzerotwo), in an interview with BashandSlash.com on October 17th has announced that one of the mainstays of PC multiplayer gaming, dedicated servers, won't be in IW's upcoming sequel to Call of Duty 4. Instead, players will use the unknown "IW Net" for matchmaking purposes. No dedicated servers means no player mods, no player maps, no organized competitive play, no clan servers, etc and strips away from what makes PC gaming unique from console gaming. Many vocal gamers have cancelled their preorders. IW has deleted most of the threads and petitions on IW's forums, however one petition lives on. As of the time of this writing, there are over 76,000 signatures and counting.

Submission + - No Dedicated Server Support in Modern Warfare 2 (modernwarfare2-pc.com)

An anonymous reader writes: Infinity Ward's community representative Robert Bowling stated in an interview with Bash and Slash that Infiinity Ward has removed support for dedicated servers and user generated modifications. In dedicated server's place will be IW.net, a new platform Infinity Ward will be testing that provides the same matchmaking service console users are accustomed too to PC users. The outcry has been tremendous so far from PC users on the IW forums, Twitter, Digg, and other mediums.

Comment Re:It will still communicate over Lan (Score 1) 737

That would pretty much mean every game is hosted on Blizzard's dedicated servers. That would create for some pretty crazy bandwidth. Also, there would have to be some limit on the number of games if you did that. I'm pretty sure all Battle.Net is going to do is setup matches and then the two (or more) people will connect with each other.

Comment It will still communicate over Lan (Score 1) 737

It is my understanding that people who are on the same LAN and are playing with each other will still be sending the actual gameplay packets to each others LAN ip address without having to first pass through Battle.Net. All Battle.Net will be doing is authenticating the game and setting up matches and keeping various stats. That said we won't know for sure till the beta is released or Blizzard confirms or denies it.

Comment Re:Listen... (Score 1) 263

Progress is progress. Where ever people fight for more liberty the free people of the world should stand behind them. While it may not result in all the freedoms we can hope for it still puts the fear of the people into the government, which is never a bad thing. Also, for Iran economic policy can quickly become foreign policy. Being cut off from the rest of the world via sanctions has not helped there economy at all.

Comment Re:the governments track record is actually pretty (Score 2, Informative) 1385

Medicare has a much higher rate of fraud though. http://online.wsj.com/article/SB121944730222565137.html?mod=rss_opinion_main

True, Medicare's administrative costs are just 3% of total spending, while the private sector hits 11% to 14%. But insurance companies spend money to screen their claims for fraud. Medicare automatically pays more than 95% of the bills it receives. This lack of scrutiny reduces overhead, but it makes the program highly vulnerable to abuse.

Slashdot Top Deals

Beware of the Turing Tar-pit in which everything is possible but nothing of interest is easy.