You Brits ought to be thankful for our independence. Without us you'd have been overrun by the Germans twice, be speaking their awful language instead of your own awful language but more flexible language, still bankrupt after two world wars, and would not have been blessed by the Pax American that followed. Given the alternative to a Pax Germania or a , the American version is much preferable I think.
So just what did we Yanks give you?
1. The computer revolution (although the Brits did contribute much in the beginning).
3. Better tasting food (although an Indian or Pakistani curry blows everyone away).
4. Mark Twain, Steinbeck, Hemmingway, and Melville.
5. Winston Churchill (his mother was an American).
And what did the Brits give us?
1. Their language, complete with its idiotic spellings.
2. Shakespeare, Dickens, and Conan Doyle (well, that's a fair trade).
3. The Beatles (not so bad), Andrew Lloyd Webber (you should have kept him!), and Bob Hope.
4. The BBC World Service.
5. Downton Abbey.
I think you guys got the better end of the deal.