My mother is 82 years old. Me and my brother tried for years to get her to use computers, with her repeated asking for certain sites of interest. Using a mouse and learning to aim, single click, double click, right click,
We got her and Android tablet, Lenovo IdeaTab 9", but anything 9" or 10" should work. After some coaching during an extended visit, she uses it daily and happy to be on the internet.
Here are some tips:
- Teach them how to click in the address bar and enter a search term or a URL. Also how to scroll down and close a tab.
- Bookmark sites that they use often and teach them how to get to them.
- Tell them if they get stuck somewhere, pressing the back button a few will get them to a familiar point.
- Using the Facebook app will help see pictures of you and grand kids. Depending on your specifics this can be a great thing or a bad thing.
- The difference between what is an ad and what is content is a challenge. Install AdAway from F-Droid if your tablet is rooted, or Adblock Plus from their site with "unknown sources" otherwise. If they click an ad, teach them not to press install at all, unless they call you and you say so.