We don't want driverless-cars, we just want to tinker with our car. So we can occasionally take our hands off the wheel and surf. Thats about it.
Here's what I see.
1) Mandated logging in the car to get traces as you said (for good).
2) RFID license plates manditory for all cars (for good).
3) Then increase traffic by Amazon delivery drones.
4) Bullying of drones (because we can).
4) Then pay-per-mile tolls imposed by governments (since it will be easy, starting with cities).
Don't wish for this. Just advocate tinkering with your car. Advocate texting if its safe. Let insurance dictate safety, not the DOT.
And if you are really bored, get paid to drive around for wikispeedia.
IMHO, Google isn't fixing anything, they are just having fun tinkering with their car as I want to.
Jim Pruett, Director
(901) 213 7824