Want to read Slashdot from your mobile device? Point it at m.slashdot.org and keep reading!

 



Forgot your password?
typodupeerror

Comment Re:Going Galt just got easier! (Score 1) 747

Star Trek, or any post-scarcity economic model depends on a generally conservative populace. And by "conservative" I mean as in "conservation", not right-leaning. Peoples' ability to waste is probably limitless, so you need people who reflexively don't waste. When you walk out the door of an air-conditioned (or heated) room into the hot (or cold) outside, you shut the door to conserve energy. You don't leave the door open and say, "It don't cost me nuthin,"

Sensible, but too often as a people, we aren't. It's also a different definition of "conservative" than matches current usage. Too often these days in the US, "conservative" goes along with a right, almost an obligation, to waste resources, both natural and human.

Comment Re:Who cares? (Score 2) 237

https://lists.freedesktop.org/...
Specifically:
> Unless the systemd-haters prepare another kdbus userspace until
> then this will effectively also mean that we will not support
> non-systemd systems with udev anymore starting at that point.
> Gentoo folks, this is your wakeup call.
>
> Lennart

Now another thing in there. Just because I prefer not to run systemd, I have been characterized as a "hater". Other than the fact that I'm also not into Taylor Swift, I'm not that much into the whole "hater" thing, but I recognize that I'm being categorized and insulted.

I actually tried being an early adopter of systemd, years before its widespread adoption, and found that it didn't work for me. By the time it started getting widespread adoption, the THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE! attitude really annoyed me. If it were just the attitude I could probably get over it, but I also have technical and software-philosophical objections. But none of that appears to matter in discourse, because it all comes down to haters and steamrollers, instead of real discussion.

Comment Re:Who cares? (Score 2) 237

> Maybe I take exception to the level of hate directed at the

Maybe because some of us simply prefer not to use systemd, and see piles and piles of hate and derision directed at us. Some of that hatred has come directly from Lennart Poettering, as well.

Comment I'm surprised - airline industry? (Score 2) 104

I'm rather surprised that the Cable / ISPs managed to beat the airline industry here. Must be either short-term memory, or maybe a lot of people don't fly often.

At least the Cable / ISPs don't physically drag you away from your TV or computer screen. Nor are you at all liekly to need pat-down searches for TV or internet.

Submission + - What Deep Blue Tells Us About AI in 2017 (backchannel.com)

mirandakatz writes: It's been 20 years since the iconic match between chess champion Garry Kasparov and IBM's Deep Blue computer program—a groundbreaking moment for the way we think about artificial intelligence. At Backchannel, Steven Levy looks back at the 1997 match and reflects on what it means for our understanding of AI today: "When I covered Kasparov-Deep Blue match, I thought the drama came from a battle between computer and human. But it was really a story of people, with brutal capitalist impulse, teaming up with AI to destroy the confidence and dignity of the greatest champion the world had seen. That leads me to believe it’s not Skynet that should worry us about AI, but rather the homo sapiens who build, implement, and employ those systems."

Comment Trends in rent-seeking (Score 1) 112

Perhaps this is because the court does not reflect the Executive, at least not yet.

Our current President gets a good portion of his income from rent-seeking, (licensing the Trump name) and probably considers that to be "good business." Since it's good business, I would expect him to favor that kind of enterprise, and discourage limitations on it.

Submission + - Soon, you'll be able to build your own LTE network over Wi-Fi frequencies. (hpe.com)

Esther Schindler writes: An industry consortium called MulteFire wants to help you build your own LTE-like network that uses the Wi-Fi spectrum, with no need for carriers or providers, writes Andy Patrizio. Just don't expect to get started today.

In its basic specification, MulteFire Release 1.0 defines an LTE-like network that can run entirely on unlicensed spectrum frequencies. The alliance didn't try to do too much with the 1.0 spec; it simply wanted to get it out the door so partners and manufacturers could begin adoption. For 1.0, the alliance focused on the 5-GHz band. More functionality and more spectrums will be supported in future specs.

Why would you want it? As Patrzio explains, MulteFire's target audience is fairly obvious: anyone who needs speed, scalability, and security beyond what Wi-Fi offers. “MulteFire is enabling cellular technologies to run in unassigned spectrum, where they are free to use it so long as they follow the rules of the spectrum band," says Mazen Chmaytelli, president of the MulteFire Alliance."

Is this something you think would make a difference?

Submission + - What a Trip: First Evidence for Higher State of Consciousness Found (neurosciencenews.com)

baalcat writes: Researchers observe a sustained increase in neural signal diversity in people under the influence of psychedelics.

Scientific evidence of a ‘higher’ state of consciousness has been found in a study led by the University of Sussex.

Neuroscientists observed a sustained increase in neural signal diversity – a measure of the complexity of brain activity – of people under the influence of psychedelic drugs, compared with when they were in a normal waking state.

The diversity of brain signals provides a mathematical index of the level of consciousness. For example, people who are awake have been shown to have more diverse neural activity using this scale than those who are asleep.

This, however, is the first study to show brain-signal diversity that is higher than baseline, that is higher than in someone who is simply ‘awake and aware’. Previous studies have tended to focus on lowered states of consciousness, such as sleep, anaesthesia, or the so-called ‘vegetative’ state.

Submission + - When science brought Americans and Russians together 1

Lasrick writes: The first Russian explosive device to land on US soil wasn’t delivered by a Russian missile, as Americans feared might happen throughout the Cold War. It was delivered by FedEx. This is a great story of true scientific cooperation from the great metallurgist and nuclear scientist Siegfried Hecker, who recounts the story of when an explosive magnetic flux compression generator arrived at Los Alamos National Laboratory in late 1993, shipped from the Russian Federal Nuclear Center VNIIEF. It allowed Los Alamos and VNIIEF scientists to conduct a groundbreaking joint experiment to study high-temperature superconductivity in ultra-high magnetic fields. Great stuff.

Comment Re:Rule Change when it's in his best interest? (Score 1) 450

That's a matter of perception. "activists" vs "actual". Others may see the issue exactly the opposite way as you. Both side can shout "You're WRONG!" at each other until they're blue in the faces.

Really, at the end of the day, Global Warming will be a litmus test on this. If the Republicans are right on this issue, things will continue similarly to the way they've been, with minor variations. If the Democrats are right, we're in a heap of trouble unless we take corrective action. But on this matter, Nature will be the judge, and all the shouting and blue faces won't make a speck of difference.

Comment Re:Who will care? (Score 1) 547

The problem with that is that while OpenVPN works and is relatively straightforward to set up, it's not the best performer in town. I have an OpenVPN endpoint too, and use it in situations that make sense for me.

I don't believe your default route is one of them. Whatever VPN I end up using, I'm probably going to take known sites and send them straight out. I'm not concerned about anyone knowing that I visit Slashdot, Ars Technica, Google, Amazon, Newegg, etc. What I'm concerned about are the other sites - the places I go based on a (https-based, of course) Google search.

Slashdot Top Deals

What is mind? No matter. What is matter? Never mind. -- Thomas Hewitt Key, 1799-1875

Working...