Nick Breen writes: The Xbox 360 firmware sees two major updates a year — in the Spring and the Fall. This year's Fall update is just about upon us. On Tuesday December 4th, Microsoft will unleash a flurry of new features and small tweaks to the way the Xbox 360 operates. Here are the highlights.
- AVI Support — The max bitrate for these files is 5 Mbps with resolutions up to 1280x720 up to 30fps.
- Parental Timer — Limit play time
- Xbox Originals — Crash Bandicoot: Wrath of Cortex, Crimson Skies: High Road to Revenge, Halo, Fable, Fuzion Frenzy, and Psychonauts for 1,200 MS Points.
- XBLA Greatest Hits — Best-selling Xbox Live Arcade games for 800 Points.
- Enhanced Online Profiles — You'll be able to look up friends of friends now, in sort of a social-networking-way.
- Inside Xbox — RSS news feed from Xbox Central Headquarters on your Xbox 360 dashboard.
- New Dashboard Layout