Please create an account to participate in the Slashdot moderation system

 



Forgot your password?
typodupeerror
Portables

Submission + - Mini DNA replicator could benefit world's poor

bob_calder writes: "From New Scientist: A pocket-sized device that runs on two AA batteries and copies DNA as accurately as expensive lab equipment has been developed by researchers in the US. The device has no moving parts and costs just $10 to make. It runs polymerase chain reactions (PCRs), to generate billions of identical copies of a DNA strand, in as little as 20 minutes. This is much faster than the machines currently in use, which take several hours. Victor Ugaz of Texas A&M University Journal reference: Angewandte Chemie International Edition (DOI: 10.1002/anie.200700306)"

The first 90% of a project takes 90% of the time, the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time.

Working...