MBAFK writes: In this article Joseph from MiserWare describes the evolution and some of the technology used to develop a hybrid web-app (meaning native applications that work in conjuction with a web service) available on PCs, laptops, and servers for Linux, Windows, and VMware. Over 4 years of development he learned many things the hard way, including:
- Use a high-level language for native application development unless you absolutely cannot.
- Use the same language for your clients and your backend as much as possible.
- Get your logging straightened out early on.
- Try to encourage widespread deployment of the clients by individuals.
- Rewrite only as dictated by your requirements.
- Don’t be afraid to rewrite if you really need to.