Slashdot is powered by your submissions, so send in your scoop


Forgot your password?

Submission + - License for textbooks - GNU or CC? 2

An anonymous reader writes: I'm a college professor who is putting together an open-source textbook. I'm trying to decide between using the GNU Free Documentation License or the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 United States License. I don't really understand the difference
between these, though it seems with the Free Documentation License I need to include a copy of the license in my text.

Which do you advise using?
This discussion was created for logged-in users only, but now has been archived. No new comments can be posted.

License for textbooks - GNU or CC?

Comments Filter:
  • Creative Commons (Score:2, Informative)

    The Free Documentation Licence is really designed for use in software documentation. For textbooks, essays and the like, a Creative Commons license is far more in line with your needs as an author. It also seems to be more well known to the public and so would garner points that way because people can easily tell the terms of the license because they are contained, in simple language, within the name of the license by using words like Attribution, ShareAlike and NonCommercial which make it immediately cle
  • by rbeezer ( 1351811 )
    The GFDL gives users of your book the freedom to make copies forever, and to make modifications for their own use. But if they modify the book *and* distribute the modified version, they have to make the modifications available under the same license. Thus the term "viral." This gives your users (other faculty?) the assurance that they can continue to improve your book, should you decide (or become unable) to continue working on it. By contrast a CC license can come in several forms. For example, a Non

Never buy what you do not want because it is cheap; it will be dear to you. -- Thomas Jefferson