Google rarely contacts Gmail users via email, but we are making an exception to let you know that we've reached a settlement in a lawsuit regarding Google Buzz (http://buzz.google.com), a service we launched within Gmail in February of this year.
Shortly after its launch, we heard from a number of people who were concerned about privacy. In addition, we were sued by a group of Buzz users and recently reached a settlement in this case.
The settlement acknowledges that we quickly changed the service to address users' concerns. In addition, Google has committed $8.5 million to an independent fund, most of which will support organizations promoting privacy education and policy on the web. We will also do more to educate people about privacy controls specific to Buzz. The more people know about privacy online, the better their online experience will be.
Just to be clear, this is not a settlement in which people who use Gmail can file to receive compensation. Everyone in the U.S. who uses Gmail is included in the settlement, unless you personally decide to opt out before December 6, 2010. The Court will consider final approval of the agreement on January 31, 2011. This email is a summary of the settlement, and more detailed information and instructions approved by the court, including instructions about how to opt out, object, or comment, are available at http://www.buzzclassaction.com./
— This mandatory announcement was sent to all Gmail users in the United States as part of a legal settlement and was authorized by the United States District Court for the Northern District of California.
i don't think posting that you are out of your home for few hours is going to make much difference... the robbers have to make sure that your neighbors are also not at their home
may be we can go one step ahead and make a website that does that too..
in addition to XXX, three of their neighbors have also left their house
simply a way for Microsoft to fight against it from close up, and armed with inside knowledge."
So, What is wrong in that? Any company would do that to its rival if it can..
A stockholder company has a wide range of fiduciary issues. It's very likely that if the government, as 80% owner, tried to force corporate secrets into the open that the other 20% could sue them for abandoning their responsibility to the company.
We don't want the secrets to be open, we just want the one who owns the 80% company (i.e., we the people) to know those secrets.
If I don't want something on Facebook, I don't put it on Facebook. There! Problem solved!
No, you can not predict what information may put you in trouble in the future. Something that looks harmless at present may bite you in the ass in the future (e.g. during job search etc.). So, if you have encrypted your posts right from the beginning, then you don't have to worry about the future.
This is the first time since John F. Kennedy that a President was addressing the NAS during his first year in office. Obama said 3.4 percent of GDP will be devoted to science. This is big !!!"