Slashdot videos: Now with more Slashdot!
If they're good enough for Databases (frequent writes), they should be just fine for devel.
OTOH, You should be a lot more concerned about losing data because of a) software bugs or b) mechanical failures in a conventional drive
the histones within the reproductive cells to be modified though?
I can totally picture how this could happen for conventional non-reproductive cell division, but that generally doesn't affect at all offsprings.
I'm not saying that you're wrong, I'm just really wondering how that's happening.
Benchmarks are pretty much the only reliable performance measure these days (e.g., SPEC CPU). Frequency is only part of the equation - best example these days is an Atom processor running at the same frequency as a Celeron and being 2-3x slower.
Also, while the vast majority of server apps work well on multi-core, desktop apps aren't quite there yet.
Except that actual processor speed went off Moore's curve a while back
Your argument is good, and AFAIK processor makers use it to a certain extent, it's just that the percentages are a bit smaller.
And please, let's keep it civil. At least, if you know what that means.
1. Abolition of property in land and application of all rents of land to public purposes.
2. A heavy progressive or graduated income tax.
3. Abolition of all right of inheritance.
4. Confiscation of the property of all emigrants and rebels.
5. Centralisation of credit in the hands of the State, by means of a national bank with State capital and an exclusive monopoly.
6. Centralisation of the means of communication and transport in the hands of the State.
7. Extension of factories and instruments of production owned by the State; the bringing into cultivation of waste-lands, and the improvement of the soil generally in accordance with a common plan.
8. Equal liability of all to labour. Establishment of industrial armies, especially for agriculture.
9. Combination of agriculture with manufacturing industries; gradual abolition of the distinction between town and country, by a more equable distribution of the population over the country.
10. Free education for all children in public schools. Abolition of children's factory labour in its present form. Combination of education with industrial production
The communist manifesto clearly advocates for a very strong, dictatorial state, which has total control over the infrastructure, capital and economy. It also includes socially-progressive measures, such as abolition of child labor and free education.
To my knowledge, the USSR did do pretty much all this stuff. So where exactly is your statement that The USSR never had anything approaching what Marx or Engels agitated for coming from?
A 200$ netbook is coming soon and it will run Ubuntu.
And yeah, 200$ not 400$ via "buy two donate one".