I've seen SO many people trying to do the "self-promotion" thing by making a series of podcasts that promote whatever they're trying to sell. Whether it's financial forecasting or self-improvement or internet marketing or search engine optimization or multi-level-marketing scam or herbal products or ways to improve server performance or the benefits of virtualization with your product or service or whatever,
Top 12 reasons I don't watch your podcasts or webinars
- I can read faster than you can talk. Remember those 3 rules? Put it in writing. Put it in writing. Put it in writing. Give me the option of reading it instead.
- I can't quickly skim it and find if there's anything I'm interested in.
- I can't search it.
- If I want to take notes, or argue against a statement, I can't just cut-and-paste it.
- If something isn't quite clear afterwards, I'm not going to watch the whole thing again just to find the point in question.
- There's only so much time in the day - If I have 5 minutes to kill, I'd rather watch Hitlers response to the ipad.
- Powerpoint has already been proven to make you stupid. "... on the Internet" doesn't make it better. Not even when you add kittens. So shove your webinars.
- You want me to sign up to watch your webinar or podcast at a specific time? You really ARE retarded, aren't you
- Thinking "Podcasts are cool, so if I make one, hundreds of millions will watch it." Guess what - they'd all rather watch Hitlers response to the ipad too.
- "It makes our product (and us) look cool and with it". No, it doesn't.
- "People watch this stuff." Maybe if you have a zombie Michael Jackson doing the presentation
- "People can send links to it to each other by email"
The ones that REALLY cheeze me off? I click on the web page, and they start immediately, instead of giving me the chance to decide on your own if I want to freeze my browser. No wonder people love flashblock.
So, here's the podcast poll:
[_] I'd rather be rick-rolled.
[_] I avoid podcasts like the plague
[_] I might watch one once in a blue moon
[_] There are a few I watch, but most of them are creap
[_] I HEART podcasts.
[_] I use them as an excuse to blow away 15 minutes at work "keeping up with trends".
[_] My job involves making podcasts, you insensitive b*tch!
[_] We use them because everyone else does
[_] In Soviet Russia, podcast watches YOU!
[_] "I've got this podcast of Hitler invading CowboyNeal"
[_] "You picked the CowboyNeal option? Ha ha you've been rick-rolled."
[_] "You picked the Rick-roll option? Ha ha you've been
[_] "The podcast isn't dead. It's um, it's pining. For the fjords. And the forest. And the lumberjacks in the forest. I'm a lumberjack and I'm okay,