You should try some different types instead of allowing your experience with one particular model to define your outlook on smartphones.
Looking at my current smartphone for example, I can:-
- Make phone calls which go via the cellular network or wifi depending on where I am
- Send picture messages to people from any country without having to pay extortionate messaging charges
- Take quick, spur of the moment, photos or videos of situations which arise when I didn't take my DSLR with me
- Surf the web anywhere without having to carry a big tower case and monitor
- Receive and respond to emails which might require a timely response (e.g. time limited offers)
- Listen to music from a wide variety of sources
- Interact with social media from anywhere
And I can do all of these things, and more, without having to carry a suitcase with 10-15 different devices.