Under the agreement, announced Wednesday by U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder, the company will admit that it misled U.S. consumers by making deceptive statements about two safety issues affecting its vehicles. As a result, Toyota will pay a $1.2-billion financial penalty under a "deferred prosecution agreement."
The article also said, "the payments are unlikely to hurt Toyota's finances much." It seems even if the government has decided to punish Toyota, the consumer hasn't.
The owner and operator of a well-known “real gore” website is charged with corrupting morals for posting a video allegedly depicting the murder of student Jun Lin by Luka Magnotta.
Magnotta, 30, is currently in custody charged with first-degree murder in the death of the 33-year-old Chinese international student, who was killed in Montreal in May 2012. The victim’s severed limbs were then mailed to political parties and elementary schools, and his torso found inside a discarded suitcase.
A news interview with the detective in charge of the case, airing on CTV as I type this, says he believes the web site hosts a lot of racist content and unimaginable violence. You should note that Canada has less free speech than in America (we have 'hate crime laws'), but there will likely be some arguments in this vein. The charge against the operator is quite rare and no-one so far remembers it ever being used before.
The first 90% of a project takes 90% of the time, the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time.