Anyone still lurking around this place? I see several people are still active here.... quite a huge pile of names I have not seen in a long long time.
So 104 people were killed by police in the USA during August, 2014. To my eyes, that's an absolutely enormous figure. As a Brit, I compare it to the 1 person killed over 3 years by the UK police. Yes, they're two different countries, yes there's a lot more people in the US, yes they have different cultures, yadda yadda yadda; people are dying here.
Let's do some maths:
- Population of the USA: 319 million (source: http://tinyurl.com/bpotuf9)
- Percentage chance for a person to be shot in August is then: (104 x 100%) / 319,000,000 = 0.000033%
That's a scarily huge percentage, given that it's normalised by population. Bear in mind that police in the USA are not
Now let's consider extrapolating for the period of time that most shootings occur (i.e.: suspect between the ages of 15 and 40), and see how that changes things:
- Chance to be shot over 25 year period = (104 x 12 x 25 x 100%) / 319,000,000 = 0.0097%
- Rounding that, since this is an extrapolation, we get 0.01%
Now that's an amazingly large percentage chance of being shot dead by a policeman. Let's do the same thing for the UK:
- Population of the UK: 65 million (source: http://tinyurl.com/kzsalbe)
- Percentage chance for a person to be shot over last 3 years is then: (1 x 100%) / 65,000,000 = 0.0000015%
- Therefore percentage chance for a person to be shot in August 2014 is 0.0000015 / 12 / 3 = 0.0000000427%
- Therefore percentage chance to be shot over 25 year period is 0.0000000427 x 12 x 25 = 0.0000128%
Compare 0.01% and 0.00001% and remember these are normalised by population. Yeah.
If the beta becomes the new, permanent interface, and the "classic" view is completely done away with, I will simply delete my account. I urge others who dislike beta to do the same.
What do Uncle Sam, Santa Clause, and the Republican elephant and Democratic donkey all have in common?
A man who dies rich dies disgraced.
- Andrew Carnegie
Huh, I had no idea!
(Hopefully there is enough whitespace to overcome Slashdot in full retard mode?)
You've probably read stories written by this guy. I hope his willingness to come forward and admit he is an undocumented immigrant can help people realize why the DREAM act is so important.