Of course, other articles and studies are telling me that my diet pop is messing with my brain and making me crave more sweets anyway.
Oh, it's much worse than that!
A few choice quotes from the article:
"Aspartame accounts for over 75 percent of the adverse reactions to food additives reported to the FDA. Many of these reactions are very serious, including seizures and death."
"Aspartate and glutamate act as neurotransmitters in the brain by facilitating the transmission of information from neuron to neuron. Too much aspartate or glutamate in the brain kills certain neurons by allowing the influx of too much calcium into the cells. This influx triggers excessive amounts of free radicals, which kill the cells."
"The absorption of methanol into the body is sped up considerably when free methanol is ingested. Free methanol is created from aspartame when it is heated to above 86 Fahrenheit (30 Centigrade). This would occur when aspartame-containing product is improperly stored or when it is heated (e.g. as part of a "food" product such as Jello). Methanol breaks down into formaldehyde in the body. Formaldehyde is a deadly neurotoxin."
"DKP is a byproduct of aspartame metabolism. DKP has been implicated in the occurrence of brain tumors."
Then there's the phosphoric acid content in diet soda that erodes tooth enamel and promotes kidney stones.
Needless to say, I don't drink diet sodas.