Slashdot videos: Now with more Slashdot!
We've improved Slashdot's video section; now you can view our video interviews, product close-ups and site visits with all the usual Slashdot options to comment, share, etc. No more walled garden! It's a work in progress -- we hope you'll check it out (Learn more about the recent updates).
I don't think everyone needs to learn C, however I think it is important to try to understand at least the level below where you are working. If you are working in Java, learn how the Java runtime behaves. Learn how the Java compiler interacts with different code constructs to produce different bytecode. Learn how the Java libraries implement their various functions so that you understand their underlying behavior and possible performance implications. Most of my work these days is done in C#, and while 90% of the time I don't have to worry about all the underlying details, knowing them is invaluable the other 10% of the time.
While I did learn Assembly (MIPS and SPARC), C, and C++ in school rather than Java, I don't think those low level things actually had a significant impact on my job coming out of college. You don't need to understand how C allocates memory if you are not working in C. You do need to know how the environment you are working in allocates memory though, even if that behavior is hidden from superficial inspection.
And people are absolute idiots if that pacifies them, because the everything works out exactly the same either way. Seriously, if you actually care about this sort of thing what Blizzard did is equivalent to saying "well it wasn't rape, it was surprise sex!"
That just isn't the way the human mind works. We get pleasure not just from a thing, but from the context of the thing as well
People can be given the same food, and if it is delivered in fast food boxes vs. fine diningware, they will tell you it either tastes so-so, or GREAT! Give people generic cola in it's generic container and they will tell you it isn't as good as Coke or Pepsi. Put that same cola in a Coke or Pepsi container and they can't tell the difference between it and Coke or Pepsi.
These are not delusions people have, we are not just being shallow, the exact same stuff really tastes better to our brains under different circumstances.
The same reasoning applies here, even if the end result is the same, being rewarded for playing less feels better, than being punished for playing more.
The Egyptian symbolism is there presumably because it was brought by some of the people Jacob brought to the island
The Egyptian symbolism has nothing to do with Jacob for a couple reasons: First, as a Latin speaker, Jacob was born long after the height of Egypt (at the earliest around 400BC if they were speaking Old Latin) By even that earliest time very few, if any Egyptians could still write or understand hieroglyphics. Second, the same Egyptian glyphs and structures appear within the Source of Light, where Jacob has never been, and without the hieroglyph'd artifact stuck in the hole there would be no light, so it was obviously there long before Jacob.
The fact of the matter is that there is no particular reason for the Egyptian stuff. The writers obviously thought it would be all mysterious and mystical, with no depth of thought as to how it would be explained.