Forgot your password?
typodupeerror

Comment: Re:Open Up Borders to Everyone! :-) (Score 1) 103

by jedidiah (#47519559) Attached to: VP Biden Briefs US Governors On H-1B Visas, IT, and Coding

> If we're going to open up our southern border...

The problem with H1-Bs is not that they "feruhners". The problem with H1-Bs is that they are an underclass that's at the mercy of the company that imported them. They are even lower on the totem pole than underpaid undocumented Mexicans.

If you are an H1-B, ICE knows exactly where to find you if you get too "uppity".

Comment: Re:And BD-Java is good how exactly? (Score 1) 92

by jedidiah (#47518795) Attached to: Open-Source Blu-Ray Library Now Supports BD-J Java

> But then I have to do that for every single disc. And I value my time.

What time? You stick the disk in and type run.

There is no "time" involved. The computer does all of the work. It chugs along quietly while you go do something else.

The part of the process that requires my direct interaction with the computer actually takes LESS time than futzing with a console player would.

There's no need to "pretend' that disk menus are useless. They serve no real purpose for 99.9% of users. If anything, they are a bother.

Comment: Re:Robo-Polygraph? (Score 2) 95

They're interested in pressuring you to tell them everything you can.

No, they really seem to believe in the polygraphs. I know someone who was turned down for a job because the polygraph people thought she was lying about having never taken drugs. Knowing her it seemed remarkably unlikely that she had actually taken them.

Basically they're filtering out all applicants who are bad at taking polygraph tests.

That is one of the silliest hiring strategies ever devised.

Comment: Re:And BD-Java is good how exactly? (Score 1) 92

by jedidiah (#47516107) Attached to: Open-Source Blu-Ray Library Now Supports BD-J Java

> Yes, you can muddle through all the playlists by hand and extract everything you want, but sometimes you just want a family member to be able to play the damn thing.

Actually, if you want to play the "joe average" card here it makes much more sense to rip the media and present a simple menu option so that "a family member is able to play the damn thing".

The whole Tivo/iTunes/XBMC interface is MUCH simpler for rube relatives than anything that a DVD or BluRay will present to you. It's f*cking ironic that people will defend this sh*t. Each disk is it's own personal precious little snowflake with it's own interface and quirks.

It's the exact opposite of what all of the HID groupies say you should be doing with user interfaces.

If you want to "just play the movie", the interface that something like XBMC gives you is FAR superior to the usual consumer option.

Comment: Re:Limited perspective (Score 1) 821

by serviscope_minor (#47516103) Attached to: The Daily Harassment of Women In the Game Industry

you use a different definition of insulting than I do

I doubt it. That was the gist of it and what the underlying meaning was, but certainly not what I said. My point is you can say that sort of thing without insulting someone.

For example (chosen because lack of testing annoys me):

Criticism without insults: There is no testing of sub algorithms, so as it stands there is no way to tell if the bad results you're getting are due to a bad assumptions being made or a bug in the algorithm.

Insults: your code is shit and you're a moron for writing no fucking tests.

Comment: Re:this is great news! (Score 1) 92

by jedidiah (#47515669) Attached to: Open-Source Blu-Ray Library Now Supports BD-J Java

> Why use a regular player? Because it "just works".

Kind of sort of after a fashion with lost of nonsense and bother.

I ditched my last console DVD player because "just works" doesn't really work.

> The experience is overall smoother.

No it isn't. A PC provides a much better playback experience. It's simpler, more direct, and completely under your control. You can enforce a single standard UI across multiple playback devices.

Ripping a BD can be a pain but it's usually worth the effort even for a rental.

Comment: Re:this is great news! (Score 1) 92

by jedidiah (#47515331) Attached to: Open-Source Blu-Ray Library Now Supports BD-J Java

> Yes... because there is no way the compression schemes of ripped files can improve over time.

Except we aren't talking about "ripped files", we're talking about STREAMING. What you can achieve with genuine ripped files will actually make the streaming services all look hopelessly pathetic.

Streaming services suffer from the same problem as cable providers. They are corporations that want to cut corners and they know that the average American will eat dirt.

The entire "download-as-you-go" concept is fatally flawed.

Bandwidth caps aren't even the biggest problem here despite being the likely show stopper.

Comment: Re:Pft (Score 1) 821

by serviscope_minor (#47514871) Attached to: The Daily Harassment of Women In the Game Industry

This is a bit special. I love how you say this:

You do know that's not what the poster was saying at all, right? You do know that strawmaning is an unsound argument, right?

followed by this:

You continually repeat that white men don't deal with these issues.

I challenge you to find one post ever where I denied that white men don't deal with these issues.

White men do. But the point about this article is that women get it much, much more.

Comment: Re:Occams Scalpel (Score 1) 821

by serviscope_minor (#47514843) Attached to: The Daily Harassment of Women In the Game Industry

, so I guess you got me there.

Seems like I did. Unless you're claiming that people are trying to stop you exhibiting that sort of manliness.

So far you've ducked and weaved the main point about the sort of manliness you're being "prevented" from exhibiting.

Sure, just go ahead and deny my experiences. Next you'll try to tell me that I deserved it because I was wearing a kilt. Victim blaming is always popular, especially when the victim is male.

No, I wasn't blaming you as the victim, I was accusing you of making stuff up with high probability.

I've never denied the evidence.

Just dismissed it as "insignificant". Which is essentially denying it.

Comment: Re:Pft (Score 1) 821

by serviscope_minor (#47514823) Attached to: The Daily Harassment of Women In the Game Industry

His point is that they're not fuckwads because they're "sexist, racist, homopobic, tranphobic", but that they're "sexist, racist, homopobic, tranphobic" because they're fuckwads.

A fine distinction but I'm not sure it matters.

Also, I think it's pretty funny that in the list of "teh patriarchy" adjectives, "cis" has become so standard despite referring to about 0.3% of the population.

"cis" refers to about 99.7% of the population. I put it in there for the sake of pedantry. The thing is a transgender man is likely to get a lot of shit as well.

Read that list of adjectives as "statistically modal white man".

I guess the more victim classes you have, the stronger your case sounds.

Whatever. Put it in terms of disjunction if you whish.

And that's just off the top of my head, I'm sure I could come up with more.

I'm not really sure what point you're trying to make.

Comment: Re:Pft (Score 1) 821

by serviscope_minor (#47514791) Attached to: The Daily Harassment of Women In the Game Industry

Which is why the "invective" wasn't the fucking argument

And yet it has a logical fallacy named after it. It's called Ad-Hom.

Might want to get back to learning logic since sophistry's clearly addled your cognitive faculties, whether intentional or not.

You might want to learn to argue without resorting to locical fallacies such as Ad-Hom.

All programmers are playwrights and all computers are lousy actors.

Working...