Forgot your password?

Comment: Re:Staged deployments and Agile (Score 1) 137

We are about to go live with a system where we're doing just that. 10 year old internal website, originally built for IE6 or somesuch, throws a hissy fit when presented with anything passed IE8. We're rebuilding one page of it that happens to be the most broadly used page, so that 90% of the user base can finally get rid of IE8. The other 10% can wait another few years while we gut and rebuild the rest of it.

Comment: Re:Yeah right, "diability claims" (Score 2) 137

I've heard about it, but I know precisely one person who is on SSI for disability - my sister who has schizophrenia - and she has the mental capabilities of a ten year old.

I have an acquaintance (not a friend, I don't like him) who threw out his back at work and tried for years to get SSI disability, to no avail. He was capable of working, he just didn't want to any more. (We have a lot of call centers here in town. Indoor work with no heavy lifting.) I think all the judges in his case knew that was his goal, which is why he kept getting turned down.

TL;DR - Despite what the commercials and stories say, I think the system is working as intended.

Comment: So what is the solution? (Score 1) 367

by sandytaru (#47518023) Attached to: 'Just Let Me Code!'
Some sort of mega-all-in-one SCM, IDE, build tool, project management software nightmare?

Honestly, I think developers on big teams have it easier. Part of my job is to do some of the less exciting operational stuff so that they can spend more time coding. (We unfortunately lump in the build process with coding, even though it's not that sexy.)

Comment: Re:9 States automatically increased (Score 1) 777

by sandytaru (#47494327) Attached to: States That Raised Minimum Wage See No Slow-Down In Job Growth
I have to say, I frequently travel from Georgia to Montana for business, and I was quite surprised that food and basic commodities there are CHEAPER than they are in my home state, despite the higher minimum wage. I'm guessing that housing and utilities must be more expensive or something to equalize it.

Comment: Re:Crazy (Score 1) 777

by sandytaru (#47494293) Attached to: States That Raised Minimum Wage See No Slow-Down In Job Growth
I can still get full service gas at a pump here in town. It's attached to a garage and they charge me 50 cents more a gallon for the privilege. Those jobs didn't disappear, but consumers realized it was dumb to pay a premium for something they were perfectly capable of handling themselves. The primary consumers of the full service gas pump here are the elderly, for whom checking tires and pumping gas IS more difficult.

Comment: Re:Controlling prices? (Score 1) 191

by sandytaru (#47491681) Attached to: Amazon Isn't Killing Writing, the Market Is
They could have, but it would have been a lot more work. At the very minimum, you need to hire a second pair of eyes to proof read your novel before you toss it up on Amazon for anything more than $0. For someone who is going to take it seriously and do it properly, that alone can cost $400-500. At the 99 cent price point, you need to sell nearly a thousand copies just to break even. Unless you're a well known author, the odds of that happening are pretty low.

Comment: Re:Not if you use the Virtuix Omni (Score 1) 154

This is an anecdote, but back when the dance simulator games were a thing, that's exactly what happened. I had a friend who played Dance Dance Revolution quite extensively. He started out as a freshman in college at a heavyset 180 lbs. Two years of obsessive DDR knocked him down to 140 and pretty darn buff with a faintly visible six pack. Thanks to the core muscle build up, he hasn't really regained anything much in the ten years since.

Comment: Re:There's another treatment that stops most T2 (Score 1) 253

by sandytaru (#47482705) Attached to: New Treatment Stops Type II Diabetes
I have no problem cooking healthy foods from scratch for lunch/dinner. (Well, mostly from scratch. I don't make my own whole wheat pasta.)

What gets me is liking chocolate too much. I lose all self control around a box of truffles. The only safe thing is to get a bag of dark chocolate I really don't like too much and limit myself to a few pieces a day as a treat.

Comment: Re:about time (Score 0) 47

by sandytaru (#47429109) Attached to: FTC Files Suit Against Amazon For In-App Purchases
Different divisions. The AWS geniuses are not the same department as the marketing morons who thought it would be a great idea to make free-to-play kiddie games with $10 bonus characters.

The real dummies in this are of course the parents who handed out devices that had the credit card information stored on record, or even worse, gave their kids the credit cards when prompted. When I tried that shit back in the late '90s I got my computer privileges revoked for a month.

"There are things that are so serious that you can only joke about them" - Heisenberg