Yeah, I'm with you here. I'm sure it's more likely that this is a PR stunt gone wild and we all fell for it. Even the POTUS fell for it. Before this, I hadn't even heard of the studio, much less the movie.
* Sony was already in panic mode after their security breach. This sure took the new spotlight off of that.
* OK, movie is coming out now... oh, no, no it isn't, it's too dangerous! ("ooh, forbidden fruit! No one wants to SEE a BANNED movie, do you?")
* media goes nuts. POTUS makes a statement. NK kicked off the internets.
* OK, sure, you can watch the movie, but ONLY in SELECT THEATERS NEAR YOU!
* Sounds like NK pretty much held to their party line of "huh? We didn't do it! But whatever it was, I bet you deserved it, you capitalist swine!"