"Gun free zone" means there's not even a weapon locked in a safe in the office, or in a staff member's car in the parking lot. It's a soft target.
But yeah, if you don't care about mass shootings, a "no weapons" policy makes some superficial sense.
1. There are a lot of people there
2. You get on the news and the President mentions what you did
3. Everyone went to school. It's a familiar place. Shooters probably don't have happy memories of school.
4. Kids don't know how to fight back. Most of the staff are women. It's a gun free zone. If you do it there, you have the maximum relative power over everyone else.
5. When something bad happens at a school, they go on lockdown and all your victims are stuck in the building. When someone shoots up a mall, everyone runs and soon the place is empty of victims and the only people left are threats to you.
6. Politics reigns. There's a good chance the incident will be blamed on someone/something besides the shooter.
7. It worked for the last school shooters, and the ones before that. Shooters are learning. The people who are supposed to protect the schools aren't.
8. Why not? (Seriously. This is a challenge. Come up with a good answer that can't be countered with the grievance mixed with nihilism that US culture has become.)
No other target is so soft or so well known to the shooters. Maybe someone should come up with a realistic security plan someday? You know, after the politicians get done playing it up for political advantage and fundraising.
Even if they had the weapons, everyone at school would have been safe. The school was designated a gun-free zone. I'm pretty sure there's no way they could have gotten the guns past those "gun-free zone" signs.
You also pay 6.2% Social security tax + 1.45% Medicare tax. And your employer matches that -- money your employer pays for your work that you never get and never even see in your gross pay. That's 14.9% total.
You also pay extra for every service and every product you buy because the people who produce them have to charge you extra to pay their tax bill.
Lots of people and organizations don't have enough money for everything they want. They have to prioritize. Maybe test some more cars instead of bullying farmers.
The US can't have any policy agenda on anything. The Wrong People might benefit. Depending on your perspective, The Wrong People have the bad gender, or the bad skin color, or they're too rich, or they're from the bad country, or the bad states, or they have the bad religion, or the bad politics, or the bad associations, or the bad hobbies. Or they're insensitive to people who deserve special consideration. Or someone might make a profit. Or someone might pay less in taxes. Or someone might not get set-asides. Wages might not meet "living wage" standards. An animal might get hurt or stressed out. Someone might spend Too Much on advertising and marketing. Or everyone might not benefit from it equally. Or it might not save the planet fast enough. That's why we can't do it.
We are Microsoft. Unix is irrelevant. Openness is futile. Prepare to be assimilated.