Follow Slashdot stories on Twitter

 



Forgot your password?
typodupeerror
For the out-of-band Slashdot experience (mostly headlines), follow us on Twitter, or Facebook. ×

Comment: Re:TNSTAAFL (Score 1) 272 272

Telling people that nationalizing the system is going to result in shitty service held for ransom by its operators sells the idea pretty well, since it's the same as what they have now, modulo a chance to throw out the management every 4 years. Why not point out the market participants who are providing something better?

Comment: Re:Only for consumers (Score 1) 301 301

Canada has had a music private copying levy since just before Sweden's (mid-1998), as a result of the same intellectual property treaty I think, but it only covers kinds of media that are mainly used for private copying of music (e.g. not DVD blanks, hard drives, flash storage, etc.) and it only applies to removable media (e.g. not iPods). And proceeds are distributed based on purchase statistics (e.g. Soundscan), not just tastemakers' preferences.

I'm not sure what the multinational record companies were expecting for all the crocodile tears they cried in the press about artists losing out because of copying. But what they got in Canada was mainly 15% of a 21 cent per CD-R levy, with the other 85% going to performers and songwriters, and in return for that, private copying of music was now legal.

I bought a bulk pack of CD-Rs, including the new tax, and a couple of CD cases to put my new music in, and started to cope with the new economic reality. =)

There have been some changes in the record industry:
- they are making an effort to understand their market
- they are more careful what they wish for

Comment: To sum up (Score 1) 144 144

I've never used Uber before as I haven't needed a cab anywhere Uber operates. I assumed that I would try it at some point in the future, but now I guess not.

Maybe they'll get enough new customers through friends and family that they don't need customers who don't want theirs to be harassed.

Comment: TIL about wiretapping without wires (Score 4, Informative) 104 104

I always assumed that the exception to anti-wiretapping laws for pen registers was some kind of case law.

But not only is 18 USC 3121 is a specific law about pen registers, looking at 18 USC 3127 and the definitions that are incorporated from 18 USC 2510 , it's clearly intended to include radio communications.

For radio that's "readily accessible to the general public" the interception and disclosure rules have an exception, as you might expect, but no sign of that sort of thing in this pen register law.

Cool.

Comment: Re:sudo bash (Score 2) 300 300

It's because some people take such things way too seriously. I would suggest that you try each one and compare the resulting environment variable values, and then choose whichever best suits your purpose. And to trolls who find 'sudo su -' shocking, exactly which resulting difference are you concerned about? I'm curious.

Comment: specifics plz, mr. chen (Score 1) 307 307

"Netflix, which has forcefully advocated for carrier neutrality, has discriminated against BlackBerry customers by refusing to make its streaming movie service available to them." In what way have they done this, Mr. Chen? What is it you want them to do?

Can I not download the Netflix Android app on a BlackBerry device with the Android app compatibility? Is there some issue with the DRM that prevents the app from working?

Is there something in the Netflix app license terms that prevents BlackBerry customers from using the app? Is that different in some way than tying / tied-selling, which is restricted by law in many places?

Do you want Netflix to make a native port of their app for the BlackBerry OS? Do you figure that the increase in subscriptions will make it worth Netflix's while to do this port? If not, do you want to pay the cost of it, or do you want Netflix to bear it? Netflix (the company) is 14 years old. In 2001, when RIM was 14 years old, if it was busy on a compulsory project to port BBM to every mobile platform that wanted it, would that be better or worse?

+ - BlackBerry sues Ryan Seacrest's Typo over 'iconic' keyboard design->

alphadogg writes: BlackBerry, in an effort to protect one of its key designs, has filed a copyright infringement suit against a company co-founded by Ryan Seacrest that makes a keyboard case for the iPhone.
On Friday the struggling smartphone maker filed a lawsuit against Typo Products LLC, a company that makes a slip-on keyboard designed to fit the iPhone 5 and 5S. The company, which is based in Los Angeles, was founded by entrepreneur Laurence Hallier and television personality Ryan Seacrest. The company's flagship product, the "Typo Keyboard," was conceived to make typing on the iPhone quicker and less prone to typos.

Link to Original Source

"Everyone is entitled to an *informed* opinion." -- Harlan Ellison

Working...