We just need to handle it sensibly. Put a 25 mile exclusion zone around them. Site them away from centres of population.
In the US maybe, but in Europe this is hard to do as population density is pretty high everywhere except way out in the North. In a country like Germany you won't find a large mostly empty area far from any population. But if you ask me I'd rather live next to a nuclear reactor than next to a coal power plant.
Dear Lover of 1984-Style Government (aka, a liberal):
I'm always amazed how distorted the political name-calling has gotten. White means black and black means white. From http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/liberal:
From Old French liberal < Latin liberalis ("befitting a freeman") < liber ("free").
1. (now rare except in phrases) Pertaining to those arts and sciences whose study was considered "worthy of a free man" (as opposed to servile, mechanical); worthy, befitting a gentleman.
2. Generous, bountiful.
3. Generous in quantity, abundant.
4. (obsolete) Unrestrained, licentious.
5. Free from prejudice or narrow-mindedness; open-minded, open to new ideas, willing to depart from established opinions, conventions etc.; permissive.
6. (politics) Open to political or social changes and reforms in favour of increased freedom or democracy.
I don't know what you're talking about. If you have an unimpeded path through vacuum you're going to have a constant velocity.
Any self-propulsion system has exactly the same problems due to the limits imposed by the rocket equation. Basically, an ion engine can reach a higher velocity only because its exhaust velocity is much higher, but it's still far from practical for interstellar travel. For that you need to get your rocket to about 0.1c, which is practical only if your exhaust velocity is at least something like 2% of c or 6,000,000 m/s. The exhaust velocity of ion engines is only about 30,000 m/s.
(Otherwise, somewhere 'outside' the observable universe, there is an infinite amount of storage available for each number needed, and some sort of mechanism that handles those calculations in what looks like finite time to any point of view inside the universe - congratulations, you've just proved both the omnipresence and the omnipotence of God - probably not what you were aiming to do).
Dude, I want some of that shit you're smoking!