I'm complaining about, after the standard evening of "new OS install", being mired in non-working stuff, staying up way too late, and still having no solution in sight. I'm not even getting to the App stage, which I'm sure is OK, and a centralized repo must be very nice. But I get stuck before that, at the OS stage.
My most recent issues have been:
- grub2 simply not working with my motherboard
- issues with my dual-gpu, dual-screen config. I never got it to play video reliably, even setting up 2 different-rez screens didn't really work.
- not being able to make head or tails of UpStart, which I think is what I was supposed to use to autostart programs.
- on one machine, having a nice friend recompile the kernel because that was somehow required to be able to access my server's SMB shares
- being unable to get the Start menu on the right side of my main screen (or I could, if I swapped out Unity, but then the menu was written sideways ?), nor to get RDP remoting to work (and VNC is very ugly & laggy)
What compounds the problems is the lack of documentation. I don't mind a few problems. I do mind not finding end-user documentation on how to do/fix things, and having to rely on other-version or other-distro docs in the hope they will apply to my case.
I end up feeling stuck up a creek and w/o a paddle; then realize I could have had Windows up and running a good while ago... and decide to stop my escalating commitment.