I can see that most of the comments are referring to this as a design flaw and overly complicating the product but I imagine this was put into the Product Requirements Document as a feature that provided some benefit to the customer.
The issue really is, what was the testing protocol put in place, I would think that with something like this, the Samsung engineers would have to check for:
- The S-Pen being put in backwards and twisted to the preferred orientation
- The S-Pen being damaged and put in the right way and backwards and turned away from its preferred orientation
- Something other than the S-Pen being put in.
- The S-Pen being inserted with the force of a jackhammer
- The Galaxy being dropped (on all of its axis) with the S-Pen inserted correctly and incorrectly
These tests should have been part of the product test and qualification plan.