Yvonne Lee, Community Manager at Dice.com, writes "Because EMC has expanded through more than 70 acquisitions in eight years — it was hiring even during the recession — and because many of the acquired companies were startups, it is trying to leverage the more dynamic cultures it's inherited and make itself more nimble and innovative. People it hired 'need to be able to move fast and run,' Thus, a key to getting the company's attention is to prove you can do what you say you can. In other words, when Murray asks if you can work fast, you can't just say yes. You'll have to use your previous achievements to prove that you can."
The metric system is the work of the devil, My car gets 40 rods to the hogs head and that is the way I like it.
Nerval's Lobster writes "Game developer David Bolton writes: 'For my development of Web games, I've hit a point where I need a Virtual Private Server. (For more on this see My Search for Game Hosting Begins.) I initially chose a Windows VPS because I know Windows best. A VPS is just an Internet-connected computer. "Virtual" means it may not be an actual physical computer, but a virtualized host, one of many, each running as if it were a real computer. Recently, though, I've run into a dead end, as it turns out that Couchbase doesn't support PHP on Windows. So I switched to a Linux VPS running Ubuntu server LTS 12-04. Since my main desktop PC runs Windows 7, the options to access the VPS are initially quite limited, and there's no remote desktop with a Linux server. My VPS is specified as 2 GB of ram, 2 CPUs and 80 GB of disk storage. The main problem with a VPS is that you have to self-manage it. It's maybe 90% set up for you, but you need the remaining 10%. You may have to install some software, edit a config file or two and occasionally bounce (stop then restart) daemons (Linux services), after editing their config files.'"
One would think that spamming a forum of nerds might not be the wisest course to take...especially with a M$ anti-virus program on a forum with obvious hatred for said platform....
I would agree to cutting farm subsidies, but that won't do much for foreign farmers really seeing as most foreign aid is in the form of military aid and the rest is economic aid. Most of the countries we give foreign aid to do not even need it, as they are developed countries. Agricultural subsidy is lot more complex than creating "artificially cheap" food.
Actually first on the block should be foreign aid. Then I would agree with cutting defense as well as any and every other program out there with NO exceptions.
You do realize that when you join the military you surrender those rights and are held under the UCMJ unless the military decides otherwise. That is why he is in a military jail and will be tried under military law and rules.
You mean like this? http://mikandi.com/
An anonymous reader writes "I am a biomedical researcher interested in having general-purpose, scientific programs developed and released as open source. Interface design and reusability of the code are of primary importance to me. For my purpose, Cocoa applications relying on Core Data seem to be the best way to get the job done quickly. While I have some programming experience, I have few connections to the industrial world. So my question to Slashdot readers is: how do I find someone (individual or business) to write high-quality programs? Are there reputable contractors experienced in Cocoa? What sort of rates should I expect, to use as a starting point in negotiations? Would a requirement that programs are released as open source make it more or less difficult to find someone to do the job?"
So you actually think paying extra taxes is good? How about this approach...shrink the government so we can lower taxes. WOW what an idea. You are also wrong in your thinking that lower income tax means higher property tax. That is only because you allow the government to just keep spending so they can tax you more. Look at NH for example, the lowest taxes in the country (no general income tax, no general sales tax, 5.80 property tax). They do it by having a lean government the way it was meant to be. You can blame whatever president you want to blame for the economy but the fact is you have no one to blame but yourself. People are so lazy now they won't get up and demand the government serve them. It doesn't matter which one wins, you are just voting more on the same into office.