You have my congratulations. You have proven yourself to be among the 20% of the population that has good insulin sensitivity and thus psychologically capable of taking hold of your diet and health. Again, congratulations. Hope you give yourself a nice pat on the back.
But this is only possible for 20% of the population as the other 80% are affected severely by poor insulin sensitivity and the adverse psychological effects this has on a person. For the first time in human history food is more abundant than ever before, not just any food but high caloric foods that were extremely rare just 100 years ago. In the 100s of thousands of years prior it was an evolutionary advantage to have this problem. In times of feast and famine putting on extra weight meant you were going to survive times of famine. You simply cannot tell one of these 80% to consume less calories and expect results. They will fail, mainly because their evolutionary makeup and psychology will rebel and sabotage their efforts. They cannot help it when 100s of thousands of years of evolution are fighting against them. No amount of will power is going to prevail against this. It may for a short while, but eventually it will catch up to them. Is it any wonder that so many diets fail? Now I suppose if you lock one of these 80% in a room and restrict their diet by force they will lose weight, but will completely fail when placed back into an environment with abundant food.
Science in this is relatively new, just withing the last decade. The obesity problem cannot be solved unless there is also focus on the psychology of it. Diets that cater to this such has high protein, low carb diets combined with moderate exercise do show promise. Making subtle changes are also less likely to trigger this evolutionary psychological panic in these folks.