Want to read Slashdot from your mobile device? Point it at m.slashdot.org and keep reading!


Forgot your password?

Comment Occam's razor (Score 3, Insightful) 622

Well, in absence of scientific evidence, if you just read the thing and have to decide between:
- The guy made it up to fit his political agenda
- The guy got it from a superpowered entity

Honestly, there's no way you can find the later simpler and more plausible. Especially after reading that part where men are allowed to marry up to four wives except the prophet who could marry as many as he wanted...

But it is always cool to have scientific evidence when you can get ones.

Comment Re:Important Takeaway (Score 3, Interesting) 167

At the lab, we replaced centos on our cluster with ubuntu, and almost none of my colleagues are running ubuntu on their laptop (I'm running debian - if that counts). The motivation was that gcc was so fucking old it didn't had half the C++11 functionalities we're using. We could have gone for debian testing or sid, but it's not something you want to do on a cluster that's going to run month long simulations...

Frankly, I think ubuntu server is the best choice today if you need a compromise between stability and bleeding edge. That probably more why it has all the market.

Comment Re:Can this bubble burst already? (Score 2) 45

I don't know. There is a part of me that says "yeah this is a bubble that's going to burst soon", and another part that says "wait, you've never seen that much improvement on such complex tasks before". Probably the future is in between, and parts of the deep conv nets are here to stay, while some others parts will rapidly be forgotten. But frankly, I don't know, which is a bit scary.

Comment Re:commentsubjectsaredumb (Score 1) 319

That is what will happen: Some scare top notch industrialized cities containing the few 1% and our robotic overlords, advancing technology and so on, while the remaining 99% will live outside like barbaric tribes of a preindustrial age.

You should read "To Live Forever" by Jack Vance.

Comment Re:In the US. (Score 1) 904

It takes like 40 minutes to charge a Tesla 80% of the way. That's a stop-off at KFC to eat while you use the charger in the car park.

You would really stop 3 times at KFC during a 1000km travel? I mean, It's not a joke about Americans, but...

Plus, there is no charger in the car park right now, and there won't be before sufficient numbers of ecars are on the road. But they won't be that many ecars on the road before you can charge them in the car park. Chicken and egg problem, you see.

Comment In the US. (Score 4, Insightful) 904

Again, this works in the US with big suburbs where everyone has a parking lot with an electric outlet. In other countries (like good old Europe), where most people live in apartments and there is just no way you can plug your car at night, it doesn't work. It is just impossible until you can refill your car in 5 minutes like with gasoline...

Oh, and many Europeans travel 1000+km on a single streak with their cars on holidays. Again, if the cars you want to sell have to wait 2 times 4 hours to refill in such travel, you're not going to sell many of them.

Ecars are good for commuters that live in houses. There are not many of them outside the US.

We want to create puppets that pull their own strings. - Ann Marion