I think it matters a lot. Here is my thoughts about typing speed:
- Speed is good, but think first, program second.
- If you can get what is in your head down into your editor faster, you will get quicker feedback on your code. You can then try out more stuff in a shorter timespan.
- Not all of your code will be rocket science. A lot of code is and will be boilerplate code and the faster you get to get it down and out of the way the better.
- If you don't have quick editor speed you probably don't know your editor and you end up doing stuff you should not have done. (your editor should)
- You should document your code, maybe on a concept level (on an wiki or something similar). Then you need to write and if you don't type fast you'll use forever on this.