Forgot your password?
typodupeerror

Comment: Re:If it's as good (for today) as Myst was (for th (Score 1) 103

by jerk (#45160587) Attached to: <em>Myst</em> Creators Announce <em>Obduction</em>

I remember spending a solid 24 hours playing Myst for the Mac when I was in high school and it remains my absolute favorite game of all time. I opted for the $75 level on Kickstarter. The enjoyment I got out of Myst is worth it even if this game is somehow horrible.

Comment: Re:Is it me (Score 1) 607

by jerk (#43966337) Attached to: Apple Shows Off New iOS 7, Mac OS X At WWDC

I think it's more similar to Windows Phone (which I think is the most aesthetically pleasing OS available on mobile.) The only thing that's kept me from switching to WP from iOS is the lack of apps and accessories. I bought a Windows Phone 7.5 handset, which I still have, but haven't used it for more than a month at a time (mail was the deal killer for me.)

Comment: Re:Windriod Phone? (Score 1) 607

by jerk (#43966283) Attached to: Apple Shows Off New iOS 7, Mac OS X At WWDC

I'm all for it. Windows Phone is a great-looking OS (I think it looks better than any version of Android or iOS 6.x) with poor support from developers. Also, the new Yahoo Weather app is beautiful and has become my go-to weather app almost purely for aesthetics (and it doesn't hurt that they now use Weather Underground as a source for data.)

Comment: Re:I agree (Score 5, Insightful) 564

by jerk (#43594599) Attached to: BlackBerry CEO: Tablet Market Is Dying

Yet nowhere in his reply did he even mention Apple. He may be an "Apple fanboi", but that post doesn't smack of one to me.

I also disagree that tablets are a fad. I owned a netbook for about two months before it was sold because it was nearly unusable. Everything about it was horrible: 600px high screen resolution made web browsing laughable, near-unusable trackpad (this was a Dell, others may be better/worse), the small keyboard made text input a chore (especially the punctuation keys), and so-so battery life.

Tablets are much more usable *to me* than my netbook ever was. My first tablet was much more pleasurable to read webpages on (in fact, I still prefer using Pulse to keep up with the tech sites I read every day to using multiple tabs in a browser), and its text input was easier because the soft keys were larger than the keys on the netbook. Yes, it lacked tactile feedback, but I was used to that within a week. I don't usually hammer out many multi-paragraph emails or forum comments on it, but I have no problem doing so, if necessary.

I'm not saying they're for everyone, but for me my tablet is my go-to device for 95% of my non work-related "computer" usage (the other 5% is a custom-built computer for gaming and photo editing.) I've even stopped carrying my laptop (a sub-3lb ultra-book) to and from work everyday.

Comment: Re:Why bother? (Score 2) 188

by jerk (#42912465) Attached to: Microsoft Could Earn Billions From Office For iOS

Your observations do not reflect mine. I've stopped taking my laptop to and from work because I find that the tasks I want to do at home (browsing, email, and streaming video) are better suited to the iPad. I'd much rather wake the iPad (near-instant) than use the laptop which takes more than two seconds to wake from sleep (first-world problems). The iPad is far less awkward to use in a casual setting like a couch or big, comfy chair and is more comfortable to read on, too (I have several digital magazine subscriptions in Zinio.)

My father has replaced his laptop with an iPad, my mother and grandmother now rarely use their very capable desktop computers, and my tech support requests from all of them are almost non-existent.

Comment: Re:why no wires? (Score 1) 156

by jerk (#40830053) Attached to: Microsoft Releases Batch of Windows 8 Input Devices

Maybe not in your bluetooth devices, but my bluetooth keyboard has close to 6 months on 3 AA batteries (newer models of this keyboard use only 2 AAs) and it's at 43%. After two months, my trackpad is at 77%. This is on my "workstation", so it sees a lot of use 5 days a week, at least 8 hours per day (not a solid 8 hours, of course.)

Comment: My ads changed the moment I ordered mine... (Score 1) 193

by jerk (#40687265) Attached to: NSA Mimics Google, Angers Senate

I ordered my Nexus 7 on June 28th and saw almost nothing but Nexus 7 ads for the next week. I received my Nexus 7 yesterday and haven't done a lot of browsing on it (I'm actually rather disappointed in the device - I'm not feeling the "butter", especially in scrolling, and the UI is still inconsistent and does unpredictable things like rotating the display to display certain images).

The bogosity meter just pegged.

Working...