Catch up on stories from the past week (and beyond) at the Slashdot story archive

 



Forgot your password?
typodupeerror

Comment Re:Roll-back as in play-back? (Score 1) 66

Or are you confusing Deposit banks with Investment banks?

Problem is, the laws were changed in the 1990s to allow 'Deposit banks' to act like Investment banks and play Stock Market, REIT, Credit Default Swap, and other Option games with the deposits. That's been partly rolled back since the great recession.
And yes, when those houses of cards fell, that was a bank screw, as the taxpayers had to pony up money to shore up the inadequate deposit insurance pools and to prevent a depression.

Comment Re:Yes, Sys V. (Score 1) 123

No, the prevailing view is that the translation of the Hebrew should be closer to "If a man find a lady who is a virgin, who is not pledged to be married, and lay hold on her, and lies with her, and they be found" rather than "and rapes her" (It's two words in Hebrew, and different words, like those for "seized" or "forced" would more likely be used to describe rape).
Context also suggests that the intent was for a case where the woman was willing or seduced.
Also, Exodus 22:16-17 says almost the same thing, including the same punishment of requiring the paying of a bride-price and forcing the man to marry the woman, but uses a word translated as "entices" or "seduces" rather than "lays hold of".

Comment Re:Kinda dissagree (Score 1) 223

It's not video games that are causing the things you see, it is people who are unhappy with their lives finding a way to escape them.

Bullshit. I mean, there is some of that in everybody, and that desire for avoidance can influence people's behaviour (I admit it has mine at times). But the companies that make games know perfectly well that the game does better the more addictive it is, even if they don't think about it in those terms.

Comment Re:Unearned Platforms Given to Moral Guardians (Score 1) 223

From TFA:

The researchers focused on two outcomes of the DAWBA: risk for depression, and risk for “conduct disorder,” which is a term describing antisocial behaviors in children.

Finding no significant correlation between video gaming and those outcomes does not really prove the broad conclusion of the headline that "Video Gamers From the '90s Have Turned Out Mostly OK".

Comment Re:What are miles? (Score 1) 139

Technically the US doesn't have a system

Then what is the Office of Weights and Measures for?
And what meaning would the Mendenhall Order of 1893 have had if the US didn't have a system?
If there were no system back in the days when money was backed by "precious" metals, how could have the value of the US dollar been set to a particular amount of gold?

Comment Re:Well, they didn't lie... (Score 1) 159

In fewer words:
Combustible: will burn. EG paper, wood shavings, coal ...
Flammable: easily ignited. EG gasoline vapor, ether, ...
In the presence of sufficient oxygen and at normal temperatures.

FTFY

For liquids, in more words:
Flammable: Defined as liquids having closed cup flash points below 100F (37C) and vapor pressures not exceeding 40 psi (276 kPa) (2.76 bar) at 100F (37C)
Combustible: Defined as liquids having closed cup flash points at or above 100F (37C)

Comment Re:What is my case? (Score 1) 111

Where I used to work, there was a parking garage below us. We used to say: "don't park under Steve's office". He had several 5' 0" tall loose stacks of folders & paperwork on the floor, in addition to the numerous 3' 0" stacks on his desk and countertop. But I must say, when I needed something from him, he knew just where to go to find it and could pull it out of one of the stacks within seconds. Does that make his work area messy enough for a hoarders reality show, or well organized enough for an obsessive compulsive reality show?

Slashdot Top Deals

The first 90% of a project takes 90% of the time, the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time.

Working...