So, a typical commute here is about 10km. 99% would be 9'900 metres, leaving 100 metres as the 1%.
Now, I agree that only driving the last 100m would be convenient for many. But that's not the 99% here.
In this case, it's as bad as driving 1m every 100m. It's actually much worse. It's MAYBE driving 1m every 100m.
So, either I'm staring at the road, effectively "driving" without touching anything, so that when the car suddenly beeps, I suddenly grab the wheel, or I'm reading my book and writing an e-mail, and then instantaneously stopping, looking up, grabbing the wheel, and figuring out what the hell is going on -- assuming I heard the car's beep.
This isn't robo-car. This is car-as-train -- with paint and cameras acting as train tracks and train wheels.
It's never been about the perfect highways. You won't find a 10km stretch of highway here without construction, detours, stopped cars, emergencies, and roadkill at any time of the year. Add snow, ice, rain, black ice, debris, fog, sand, salt, and sun, and I spend over a quarter of my driving without being able to see the lane markings at all.