Nice straw man. Those things don't require almost half of my income.
Please show your working as to how your tax amounts to half your income.
I live in South Africa, progressive income tax tables applies. All-in-all, I pay close on to 40% in personal income tax leaving me with 60% to spend.
So, I earn R100, the govt keeps R40. Of the R60 left, I spend R40 on goods and services (not fuel) which includes VAT@14%, which leaves the govt with R40 + (0.14 * R60 = R8.4) = R48.4
This does not even include the fact that I pay property tax separately and that there is a fuel levy (another tax) on each litre I buy. Recently, there is yet another tax that charges me R0.35/km I drive on National Roads (currently I drive about 60km/day on N1/N3).
When I bothered to actually add it up a few years ago (minus the new road taxes), I found that the state gets close to 62% of my salary. In return I get roads, non-functional police departments, broken court systems and corrupt civil servants.