I've felt the same way for years. I had high hopes for Google Wave to fill the gap.
It's not the same thing, and scripting for end users would not have been the same, but we don't need a direct replacement. We need:
- Web based, cloud based.
- Multi screen sized, flowable
- The card stack model from HyperCard was GOOD for naive use - and perfectly carried into Google Wave
In fact, my ideal system is somewhere in the middle of Wave, HyperCard, Lotus Notes, XSLT or similar and the web.
- Document templates that can be filled in. Let's get rid of MS Word and have more structured docs, but in a way that hobby developers can cope with.
- Effective visual editing of templates; HTML template editing but much more like a good UI editor,
- Somehow remove all the complexity from the scripting of events... HyperCard WAS good at this!!
I'm not going to mention SharePoint. MicroSoft NEVER understood groupware!