I'm not part of the vocal crowd, but I do support the efforts. Let me explain clearly and concisely on what's going on.
1. You are considered "audience";
/. is useful mainly because of the discussion threads (ie. user contribution), yet the management consider you "audience", even if you are actually the reason of the site's traffic.
2. In 2013 the site failed to increase on ad-revenue. And there is no evidence it will increase in the future. Hence Dice decided to slash the site's budget from several millions to zero. (source: http://www.prnewswire.com/news...
"Recent Developments" chapter).
3. Hence, in layman's terma, Dice has (most probably) decided to kill the site.
4. Since there is no budget, you will (most probably) not see the Classic functionality implemented in Beta (comment and moderation system, which is the heart of the community, which is the heart of the site)
5. Hence, Dice's "reaching out to the audience" at this point is pretty useless, as they might as well listen, but they will do nothing about it.
6. Hence, this site is already dead. The community wants to migrate to better shores and there are several ideas as to how/where. Not calling them out by name, because I don't want to be slanted.
7. At this point, I don't think the Slashcott will be of any effect, but it's worth trying; you never know.
Bonus Point. Since the heart of the site is user-generated content, an aspect of the boycott is stopping the regular flow of comments. Can't argue with that.
Hope this helps.