No problem: the high-powered Blue, Green, and white LEDs are actually made from Indium Gallium Nitride or just Gallium Nitride. The high-powered red and yellow ones are made from Indium Gallium Aluminum Phosphide.
But even so, the active LED crystal is tiny, very hard and very inert... certainly very much safer than the mercury and the rare earth phosphor dust that the public is exposed to when a florescent tube is broken. ("Mad as a hatter" = mercury poisoning)
The manufacturers of all semiconductors (ie, the guts of your computer, tv, radio, LEDs, cellphone, etc) use many process chemicals that are way more insidiously toxic than gas-chamber cyanide... but the workers have all the proper safety equipment and environment to assure that they never come in contact with these substances. The fab companies have every motive to keep the workers and the chemicals apart... it would take very much less contamination by weight of human cells or hair to poison a complete run of product, than it would of the crystalline form of GA to poison a human. Consider the multi-million dollar retail value of a single semi- trailer full of Intel's latest processor. Hell, a standard pallet full would be worth over a million
A 100 watt incandescent light bulb makes about 1700 lumens and lasts 1500 hours
A 40 watt florescent tube makes 2400 lumens and lasts 3000 hours.
20 of today's new LEDs consume 20 watts to make 2000 lumens and lasts 50000 hours
20 of 2011's new LEDs will consume
To put this in perspective: swapping LEDs for all the existing lighting in the USA would save us having to build 248terawatts of generating capacity. Not counting to mention the the additional fabrication energy savings due to the long life.
The solution to many of our global problems lie in responsible use of new technology... The LED solution would be better than what we have now, in many ways. We who can understand science and technology must help educate those who haven't a clue to stop or prevent the hysteria of the ignorant Greenies...