Forgot your password?
typodupeerror

Comment: Invalid zip+4 forms (Score 1) 278

by defaria (#47657925) Attached to: Ask Slashdot: Why Are Online Job Applications So Badly Designed?

I've tried time and time again to get Kforce to fixed their fucked up form and accept zip+4 as a valid zipcode! How long has zip+4 been around? Since 1983! That's 31 fucking years and so many forms will not accept zip+4. Stupid.

My resume is on my web site. I just point people there. It's also under GPL!

Here's a neat tool: http://jobscan.co/ (don't know why it's .co but it is). It scans your resume and the job requirement and tells you how much of a match you are.

Comment: Re:Great step! (Score 2) 148

by defaria (#47623683) Attached to: Google Will Give a Search Edge To Websites That Use Encryption
Add to this that sometimes the reputable companies still don't do the right thing. As a large financial institution you'd think that Wells Fargo of all companies would at least be sporting an extended validation certificate! But they don't. And that's not their only fumbling in security (http://defaria.com/WF). I have my reasons for still dealing with them but I watch them like a hawk!

Comment: Re: name and location tweeted... (Score 0) 928

No it's private property. It doesn't change your ownership just because you let people in. Sure the laws may say "Oh you're really a public space" just because they wish to invade our privacy yet again so they can regulate and tax but it doesn't change the state of reality just because some government official proclaimed otherwise. By your definition, if you've every let anybody into your house you've lost ownership of it, is fucking ridiculous!

Comment: Re:Contractor Vs. Employee (Score 1) 193

by defaria (#46817927) Attached to: Tech People Making $100k a Year On the Rise, Again

Hate to tell you this dude but you're in the worse situation there is. A W2 with no benefits! What's the point? Oh I see you like them taking out taxes. Well if you were a real business you could easily pay a service to do that for you (I use Wells Fargo) for about $0.15/hr. Oh the 7.5% you need to pay in "employment taxes". Hmmm. I see. you're bad at math aren't you. If they are billing out at 2-2.5 times what you make that'd be about 100-150% more right. So if you subtract 7.5% off of 100% you could be making 92.5% more than you are now you idiot!

Saves you the trouble of doing sales? Really? You think that this consulting company will get you another contract down the line? You are new here aren't you? In the some 25+ years of contracting I've never, I repeat, NEVER had the same consulting company place me a second time. Extend me? Yeah that happens but another contract from the same consulting company - NEVER.

You sir are just the sucker these consulting firms thrive on.

Comment: Re:Contractor Vs. Employee (Score 1) 193

by defaria (#46817875) Attached to: Tech People Making $100k a Year On the Rise, Again

You have no business sense. Insurance as a business owner can be had cheaply if you know what you are doing. Miss out on a lot of corp perks? They are really overrated. The perks of getting to keep more of your money by reducing taxes far out weighs these corp perks in most cases.

And if you think a full-time position as a real employee offers you any sort of security or permanence then you got another thing coming.

Comment: Why Men Earn More (Score 1) 427

by defaria (#46396439) Attached to: All Else Being Equal: Disputing Claims of a Gender Pay Gap In Tech
If women really did get paid only $0.75 per a man's $1 and yet performed equally to men then I must ask you - which businessman would not hire all women seeing as they are 25% off! The so called gender pay gap is just a myth that women attempt to use to get more money for nothing. Warren Ferrell's book, Why Men Earn More, explains all of this.

Comment: Just make the current buttons bigger! (Score 2) 237

by defaria (#46281679) Attached to: A New Car UI

This is ridiculous! You mean now I have to learn and think about how many fingers do I use to control control X and do they need to be far apart or not?!?

It's simple, just make the current buttons bigger for the kinds of adjustments you are likely to make when driving. All too often toggles and play/pause, etc are small buttons to look appealing instead of large buttons because they are likely to be used frequently. Usage of screen real estate often sucks big time. For example, in my car, when the bluetooth is paused I get a small button to make it play again. It takes up about 10% on the right hand side of the screen. The other 90% is completely fucking blank! Put the damn play button in the center of the screen and make it fucking big. It's the most likely thing I'm gonna hit next! Geeze! This is really not rocket science - common sense is all one needs.

SCCS, the source motel! Programs check in and never check out! -- Ken Thompson

Working...