- we don't want them thinking that Microsoft Word is the only way to create a document
- trying to teach good save & backup habits to small kids gets in the way of what they're supposed to be learning
- with Google Docs their work is always there where they are, as long as they have access to a web-browser
- Google Docs has a much simpler interface than Word or Libreoffice
- Google Docs has good interoperability e.g. export to pdf,
The privacy issue isn't one we've given huge amounts of thought to, partly because I doubt even the NAS cares much about a story about a hungry rabbit written by a ten-year-old, but mainly because the issues with their use of mobiles, social media, gaming etc. strike us as much more serious, at least at their current age.