Want to read Slashdot from your mobile device? Point it at m.slashdot.org and keep reading!


Forgot your password?

Comment: Re:Limited Options (Score 2, Informative) 425

by crazyj (#32816084) Attached to: Paperless Tickets Flourish Despite 'Grandma Problem'

Bands/promoters don't have to use Ticketmaster. They will only do so if Ticketmaster offers a proposition that they like, and better than any competitor.

Wrong. TicketMaster signs long term contracts with venues to be the sole provider of ticketing for all events at that venue. The promoters pick venues based upon the size that they think the performer can draw. Therefore, if the promoter picks a venue that is contracted by TicketMaster the show is forced to use TicketMaster as the ticketing platform. If there is no properly sized venue in a city/region that is not under contract with TicketMaster (there rarely is unless you’re talking about small venues) then the promoter/performer has no choice but to use TicketMaster or not perform in that area. (See: Pearl Jam, early 90s) And as for the stupidly named “Convenience Fees,” that is pretty much all the money that TicketMaster makes on that sale (minus their credit card fees). Here’s a rough breakdown of who gets what from your TicketMaster purchase:

Ticket Price
This goes to the promoter, sometimes minus a few percent to TicketMaster
Convenience Fee
Ticketmaster's profit
Facility Fee
Mostly goes to the promoter. A small percentage may be retained by TicketMaster
Ticketfast Fee ($2.50)
Pure profit for TicketMaster. Ironically they’ll snail mail your tickets to you for free.
Shipping Charges
They may charge you $15, $19, etc, but their costs are WAY less, on the order of $4-8 per UPS package. The rest is profit for TicketMaster

J Cobb
Owner, Team One Tickets & Sports Tours, Inc.

Comment: Wi-Ex Signal Repeater (Score 4, Informative) 214

by crazyj (#31619366) Attached to: How Do You Extend Your Wireless Connection?
As long as you have a decent signal somewhere close enough you can run a cable to such as in your attic, or on your roof I can highly recommend the Wi-Ex YX510 from ZBoost (http://wi-ex.com/YX510.aspx). I have one at home and one at my office and they're great — as long as you have a good signal it can repeat for you. If you have no good signal nearby then you're either S.O.L. or stuck with a "mini-cell" thingy from your provider.

Comment: Re:Huh? (Score 1) 698

by crazyj (#15175899) Attached to: Music Downloads = Expensive Concerts?

One misconception is that the artists don't set the ticket prices. The artists themselves even like to claim this when they are confronted about their high ticket prices. The truth is that the artist does set the ticket price because the artist sets their price. The promoter then has to set the ticket prices based upon that fee plus extras such as venue rental, insurance, percentage paid to Ticketmaster, etc.

If artists actually wanted to lower their ticket prices they could lower their fee to appear. Some artists who I won't name (Billy Joel) are on record as saying that ticket brokers are getting extra money that they should be receiving and therefore raise their prices so that they can get that money instead of us ticket brokers. What many artists and people don't realize is that brokers generally only re-sell about 1-5% of all available tickets for any given event. Raising prices to caputure the "extra" money on 1-5% of the tickets causes the other 95% of the people to pay more as well.

The confusion of a staff member is measured by the length of his memos. -- New York Times, Jan. 20, 1981