Slashdot videos: Now with more Slashdot!
We've improved Slashdot's video section; now you can view our video interviews, product close-ups and site visits with all the usual Slashdot options to comment, share, etc. No more walled garden! It's a work in progress -- we hope you'll check it out (Learn more about the recent updates).
The Zune music player in WP7 is *terrible*; lacking in so many features it's useless for playing audiobooks or podcasts. Let's look at what it's missing:
- No audio scrubbing. If you're listening to a long podcast you have to hold down track-skip to fast-forward, but it's slow and if you move your finger even a tiny bit it'll just skip to the next track.
- No lyric support
- No option to resume mp3s from where you last stopped listening.
- No bookmarks
- WP7 constantly forgets the last track played.
It's pathetic, to the point that I still have to carry an ipod around in addition to my WP7 phone (for language learning purposes). Zune desktop client isn't any better; the interface is a confusing mess.
1) Not all developers have implemented this, and even when they have put the extra effort in it's fairly limited (tile just shows a counter with no extra information, or information on the last notification received).
2) User has to pin every app that uses toasts to the start screen. They shouldn't have to - live tiles and notifications are completely different concepts.
3) The android / iOS notification centres give you a list of app notifications received *in the order they arrived*, meaning you can prioritise how you deal with them. No matter how well live tiles are implemented, WP7 apps can't talk to each other so this time-ordering is lost.
On the other hand, a toast push message can open an app when clicked by the user, so could be used as a mechanism for initiating an incoming Skype call.
This is now a dupe, do not approve!!
Link to Original Source
Broken slashdot submission form truncated it after submitting.
Link to Original Source
Are you positive they're "voting with their wallets" and not being given free subscriptions by MS?
- Wifi works fine, though it switches off when you lock the phone. No you cant change this.
Getting pics off the phone is done by syncing with Zune via USB or over wifi. Bluetooth file transfers are not supported in the OS, so forget BT.
My girlfriend can use the phone fine and she's extremely non-techy. However, she finds the IPhone easier to use.
This bug was first reported in 2008 and keeps getting pushed back; I literally can't believe this still hasn't been fixed, it completely breaks Asian support and means this browser can't be .
Oh a related issue; You can't choose fonts per encoding type, which means if you want to read English AND any Asian font, you can make one of them nice and readable but it breaks the look of the other.