Catch up on stories from the past week (and beyond) at the Slashdot story archive

 



Forgot your password?
typodupeerror

Comment Re:Department of Education: Discrimination isn't (Score 3, Insightful) 250

I was a bit surprised to find out that the DOE regulations explicitly state that discrimination against males and caucasians is not discrimination. I wonder of the Department of Labor has a similar rule.

Isn't this unconstitutional or against Human rights? I don't know about the US, but the German constitution says "All Humans are equal".

Comment Re:They are the best in some aspects (Score 1) 456

I don't see how to turn off just the sounds though, while leavving the messages on. I want to see a notification message if I have new email and look on my phone. I just don't want to be annoyed by notification sounds for emails, I don't need to know about mails right away. But I want notification sounds for other apps.
In Windows phone I can turn off sounds and messages separately. In Cyanogenmod too I think.

Comment They are the best in some aspects (Score 3, Informative) 456

So it would be sad if they go. It is beating Android on battery life and also has many OS functions that I only find in custom Android roms. For example you can switch off notification sounds and messages individually per app. Also the standard email application in Android is a joke compared to Windows phone email. And it has built-in offline maps that are used in apps too.
The lack of a few apps is a problem if you need these.

Comment Benefits (Score 1) 227

The total data rate for all customers combined is limited. This means that throttling the rate for some users will make it faster for everyone else.
It is better for everyone else if video download speed is limited to what is making sense. Let's just hope that they introduced transfer speed control to make sure that everyone gets enough data to watch the videos. People not getting more than they need is just added since it comes for free and helps others.

Comment Re:If every carrier does this (Score 1) 227

That's simple. The total data rate for all customers combined is limited. This means that throttling the rate for some users will make it faster for everyone else.
It is better for everyone else if video download speed is limited to what is making sense. Let's just hope that they introduced transfer speed control to make sure that everyone gets enough data to watch the videos. People not getting more than they need is just added since it comes for free and helps others.

Slashdot Top Deals

The first 90% of a project takes 90% of the time, the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time.

Working...