Catch up on stories from the past week (and beyond) at the Slashdot story archive

 



Forgot your password?
typodupeerror

Comment That explains Slashdot! (Score 1) 358

"The secret to happiness is low expectations."

This entirely explains slashdot!

The terrible beta. The inability to handle Unicode. The annoying embedded ads, the blatant "product placement" articles, and the atrocious editing of submissions.

They are just trying to set our expectations really really low.

Slashdot just wants us to be happy :-)

Comment Re:Handwavium (Score 1) 274

Wrong. Dark matter is a theory proposed to explain existing observations.

Science is not an absolute "this is how the world works". If you want absolute answers, turn to religion.

Science is an evolving process of "this is our best explanation for how the world works". There is no "proof" in science. Science is observe, measure, theorize, confirm. If you don't like the current theory of dark matter, feel free to propose your own theory that matches existing observations.

Calling it "handwavium" without proposing an alternate theory is antithetical to the scientific process.

Comment Re:Who cooked up such a misleading summary?? (Score 2) 281

3/ Anders Wallgren mentions nothing of the Mythical Man Month

Incorrect. From the actual article:

Wallgren: The major benefit of a microservices architecture is that you can actually start to beat the Mythical Man-Month (i.e. the long-standing theory that adding people to a project lowers, rather than increases, velocity).

This indicates that Wallgren exactly said that microservices help you beat the MMM.

Comment Re: Rule #1 (Score 2) 281

Then you aren't using agile. Or not correctly at least.

One of the most important concepts of agile is to identify problems in the process and eliminate them.

If JIRA is slowing the dev team down, that should be identified in a retrospective & addressed.

Also, a 6 hour sprint planning for 1 week sprints is excessive. The "out of the box" number is 2 hours/week.

Finally, 1 week sprints are quite fast. Typically they should be used for prototyping or by a startup. In either of these cases, the planning "overhead' is usually minimized as everyone should already have a pretty clear idea what is being built.

These are all items that the dev lead should be dealing with.

Comment Re:RISK vs CHANCE (Score 2) 182

See, but here's the thing. While the CHANCE is low, the DEGREE OF BADNESS of an asteroid or comet impact is infinite. As in, extinction.

As CHANCE is non-zero, the RISK is infinite as well.

Therefore, we should be taking steps.

If you follow that logic, then we also MUST take steps against:
- Global warming
- Killer viruses
- Rogue black holes
- Rogue artificial intelligence
- Aliens
- Gamma ray bursts
- Giant solar flares
- Magnetic field reversal
- Supervolcanoes
- Biotech disaster
- Nanotechnology
- Particle accelerator chain reaction
- Divine intervention
- etc.

We cannot take action against everything that could possibly destroy us, so we take action based on the CHANCE of those things happening. We have decided that "Killer Asteroids" should be moved down the list as the chance of one occurring is very small.

And no, the DEGREE OF BADNESS is not "infinite". If you think that, you misunderstand how big "infinity" is. Don't use concepts that don't apply.

Comment Re:And we STILL can't read it (Score 4, Funny) 278

Doubtlessly to be released to public 24 hours before the Congressional vote...

With apologies to the late Douglas Adams:

Congressman: "But the treaty was on display to the public!"
Disgruntled Voter: “On display? I eventually had to go down to the cellar to find it.”

Congressman: “That’s the display department.”
Disgruntled Voter: “With a flashlight.”

Congressman: “Ah, well, the lights had probably gone.”
Disgruntled Voter: “So had the stairs.”

Congressman: “But look, you found the treaty, didn’t you?”
Disgruntled Voter: “Yes, yes I did. It was on display in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying ‘Beware of the Leopard.”

Comment Editors?!?! (Score 1) 684

Ed Regis write in the NYT that today we an witnessing an outburst of enthusiasm over the literally outlandish notion that in the relatively near future, some of us are going to be living, working, thriving and dying on Mars.

Me write in the Slashdot that today we an witnessing an outburst of enthusiasm over the literally outlandish notion that in the relatively near future Slashdot editors will actually be proofreading, editing and correcting submissions prior to vomiting them onto the site.

Slashdot Top Deals

The first 90% of a project takes 90% of the time, the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time.

Working...