Please create an account to participate in the Slashdot moderation system

 



Forgot your password?
typodupeerror
What's the story with these ads on Slashdot? Check out our new blog post to find out. ×

Comment Re:That needs a stable solution, not a chaotic one (Score 1) 557

> The problem is, how do you determine who's disadvantaged?

Money, as it can be used to obtain pretty much all other advantages.

> but when you start to look at it carefully there's all sorts of possible issues. Some families are better at budgeting than others, so a family with lower income might have more money available for the kids than a family with higher income

This is not an inequality that we can (or should) correct for. People who work harder have a natural advantage. It's not right to take that away, as doing so hurts everyone. It was by gaining enough advantages to live lives where people could spend their time studying things like science that we obtained what we have now. We would all be worse off without this.

> It's a lot easier to tell if somebody is from X or Y group than to determine their level of disadvantage and what's necessary to help equalize their opportunities.

I disagree both with the idea that it's easier and the idea that it advances any sort of good for society.

Comment Re:Feminist vs egalitarian (Score 1) 557

There's a stable solution for that: help everyone who is disadvantaged, regardless of what they were born as. This will fix the bias over time without creating new victims.

Somehow it never gets put forth as an option, because enough people are more interested in their self-interest than in equality for everyone.

Comment That needs a stable solution, not a chaotic one. (Score 1) 557

In that case, you add x kg to the lighter side. But that's not at all what gets advocated. They advocate adding x kg to the X group or the Y group or whatever, rather than helping all disadvantaged people equally. If we always help those who are disadvantaged equally--regardless of whatever traits they were born with--the scales will tend towards balancing and the group interests will tend to be more aligned, as we're not deciding which groups are worthy or not worthy of society's support.

If we're always trying to figure out which group is or isn't disadvantaged based simply on group membership, rather than any observable facts, we trend towards a world where the group interests are in perpetual conflict. This is why equality cannot be achieved by perpetuating inequality against future generations. As shown, there's a way to address past inequality without creating new injustices that's stable over time.

I don't know about you, but I don't want to live in a world where society decides that you have less rights than someone else because of how you were born. Anyone who advocates treating others as lesser due to how they were born is some kind of KKK-level scumbag in my book.

Comment Are we reading the same US code? (Score 4, Informative) 93

No, if you haven't registered the work, you're only able to get actual damages (which is something like your 'customary rates' but it depends on what you can prove) rather than statutory damages and attorney's fees. Actual damages are close to what you said, but statutory damages are not "punitive" damages at all.

But don't take my word for it, read the actual law on the subject.

Oh, and it so happens that you can register just before filing suit, but a registration that isn't timely doesn't have the same presumption of validity that it would if you were registering long before there was a lawsuit close on the horizon.

Comment Re:Bullets are OK, but... (Score 5, Informative) 247

> One of the features of safety glass is that when it breaks there aren't (or many) pointy edges created.

Which kind of safety glass?

They were talking about windshields, those are laminated glass. That means you have two sheets of ordinary annealed glass (which DOES break into big, dagger-like sharp pieces) with a plastic sheet in between (which prevents those sharp pieces from going anywhere). Presumably, given an appropriate substrate, you could make laminate out of any glass-like sheet.

The other kind of safety glass is tempered. This causes the glass to be stressed along the edges so that when it does break, it breaks into a million tiny pieces (all of which are very, very sharp). It may also simultaneously pop, especially if hit along the edges. It's less dangerous because the pieces, while sharp, are simply too small to do any real damage even if, say, a piece explodes while you're holding it.

Source: I worked for a cut & temper operation, I've dealt with all kinds of glass.

Comment Re:Terrible precedent (Score 1) 1482

You're part of an angry mob. I can almost hear the "rabble rabble rabble." Hate is ugly man and trying to pick some random person to vent your frustrations on is not cool. The Obama example is just to point out that your selection of targets is arbitrary.

I get that you're mad, but it makes you really ugly inside. Tolerance is live and let live. What you spout is just another kind of hate. I know your justification, I hear it all the time, but ever notice that all the people saying it are haters? Are you just another hater? Hate everyone for not agreeing with you so you can feel superior? Another guy in the mob too scared to think for yourself?

Because that's what I'm seeing and I'd really like to see that change.

Censorship

Submission + - How to Access Wikipedia During the Blackout->

Xenographic writes: Anyone who needs to bypass the Wikipedia blackout to get information can use the bookmarklet found here to bypass the blocks. But just remember, if laws like SOPA or PIPA pass, the government will be setting up walls just like that everywhere that won't just vanish after 24 hours, so please let your representatives know that these laws are unacceptable.
Link to Original Source
Japan

Submission + - The Current Status of Japan's Reactors->

Xenographic writes: There's so much panic over Japan's nuclear power plant malfunctions that a lot of misinformation has started showing up in the media from people who don't know anything about BWR safety systems or even what a Sievert is. The Tokyo Electric Power Company (TEPCO) has been issuing detailed reports concerning the status of each of the reactors and the operations they're performing on each. Fukushima Daiichi has all six units shut down and everyone within 10km has been asked to evacuate. That's the same plant where the explosion took place, which experts believe to have been caused by built-up hydrogen. Also, before the explosion near unit 1, one worker, who was working on that same unit was accidentally exposed to 106.3mSv of radiation and hospitalized. Fukushima Daini currently has all four units shut down and everyone within 3km of it has been evacuated, while those within 10km are on standby. Kashiwazaki Kariwa is still up, with four of its seven units active and the other three undergoing regular inspections. Several other non-nuclear plants and power substations have been shut down as well. This leaves about 600k people in the area without power.
Link to Original Source

Comment Re:So much for the safety of nuclear energy (Score 4, Informative) 752

If you really want to know, here's the press releases from TEPCO which runs the plants. It's far more informative and far less alarmist than most of the reports going around. Yes, they are evacuating. Yes, there has been some unknown level of radiation leakage, but we don't know how bad it is just yet.

Those who want to review how the safety mechanisms of a BWR work should read this.

Submission + - Anonymous Claims Possession Of Stuxnet Virus->

An anonymous reader writes: Last night, a member of hacker group Anonymous announced on Twitter that the group was in possession of the Stuxnet virus.

Recently, Anonymous has been in the news for its high profile attacks on software security firm HBGary, after Aaron Barr, the CEO of HBGary’s sister firm HBGary Federal, claimed to have acquired the names of senior Anonymous members and threatened to release them to the public. This is where the possibility for Anonymous getting its hands on Stuxnet increases.

Link to Original Source
The Internet

Submission + - Internet shut down in Algeria-> 1

An anonymous reader writes: Just 3 weeks ago, the war raged on in Egypt but now revolution has come to Algeria as its country’s citizens also fight for freedom from President Abdelaziz Boutifleka’s rule. The government has gone ahead and shut down the Internet and even had many activists Facebook accounts deleted.
Link to Original Source

Comment You're not kidding... (Score 2) 351

No kidding. They even plan to subpoena Slashdot (not to mention Twitter). I don't know what they'll get out of that except for a lot of "in soviet Russia" jokes, but I guess their lawyers like wasting their client's billable hours on fishing expeditions?

I suggest they try Googling that key. I don't know how many results they'll find, but I'm guessing there will be thousands, if not more. It's kind of futile to tell the judge that you need expedited discovery and such when the cat is not merely out of the bag, but halfway across the galaxy, isn't it? But hey, I guess you guys might see it differently. You could go send a million nastygrams to everyone who reads the news and rack up $200/hr. Fact is, I just hate Sony. I don't have a PS3 because I've been boycotting Sony since the time they infected people with that rootkit, so this hexadecimal number you're trying to censor is utterly worthless to me. I can't very well circumvent the protections on a device I'll never own, now, can I?

Comment S-Corp != C-Corp (Score 1) 509

Google & Apple are C-Corps, which don't allow this tax loophole at all, so Steve Jobs can't save any money by pulling this trick. The comparison is not accurate.

He used his S-Corp to reclassify wages as investment income to avoid FICA taxes, paying himself $24,000 per year (i.e. factory worker wages) instead of a reasonable wage for a CPA. You can't do that in a C-Corp, because you'll have to pay the corporate taxes that S-Corps get to avoid.

He would have been fine if he'd paid himself even somewhat reasonable wages, but Google & Apple can't pull this particular trick at all. C-Corps use completely different tax loopholes.

Comment Re:Not following the news, are you? (Score 1) 973

> No, I did-- and assange isnt "this sort of thing", as he wasnt selling nuclear secrets

Also, the spy swap meant that we got something for letting them off the hook. Who, exactly, would Assange get swapped with?

You've never even tried to rebut the fact that it's an offense for which one can be executed, you've merely pointed out that they don't usually seek it.

Don't get me wrong, though. If they have to take it off the table to have him extradited, they will. But not before then.

> None of them citizens, not once their citizenship has been established.

You mean because they made one of them renounce his citizenship?

The fact that you know all this and are arguing anyhow doesn't exactly repair your credibility, you know. I'd say it's a bit worse than grabbing the wrong link out of a set.

Interestingly, there are wikileaks connections even there.

> Political support....from someone who isnt holding any office whatsoever right now? One or two people dont "much political support" make.

Would you prefer the quotes from the justice department mentioning that they have a task force working on this? Or how about the fact that there's an active investigation, as evidenced by the subpoenas to Twitter?

No, that doesn't mean they will execute him, but it does mean that there are people who'd like to. You won't find many out-and-out calls for assassination, but you will find plenty who wouldn't mind trying him in a death penalty case.

> If you are saying that crazy people will do crazy things, then I agree; but I dont get what that has to do with Assange, especially as he is in custody at the moment. Hes not likely to be randomly shot by some crazy person.

Right now? Probably not. If he's let free? That changes things.

"Don't tell me I'm burning the candle at both ends -- tell me where to get more wax!!"

Working...