Want to read Slashdot from your mobile device? Point it at m.slashdot.org and keep reading!

 



Forgot your password?
typodupeerror
Networking

Enterprise Datacenter Hardware Assumptions May Be In For a Shakeup (acm.org) 100

conner_bw writes: For the entire careers of most practicing computer scientists, a fundamental observation has consistently held true: CPUs are significantly more performant and more expensive than I/O devices. The fact that CPUs can process data at extremely high rates, while simultaneously servicing multiple I/O devices, has had a sweeping impact on the design of both hardware and software for systems of all sizes, for pretty much as long as we've been building them. This assumption, however, is in the process of being completely invalidated.

Comment Re:NSA SELinux open source, in mainline kernel 12 (Score 1) 100

This is one of those eternal security arguments; without manually reviewing the code YOURSELF, and compiling the kernel from that manually reviewed code YOURSELF, it's "as far as you know." Maybe you do that, I don't know; I'm just aware that the security of my linux installs relies on a chain of trust, and even if that chain is 100% verifiable from source to binary, there's still no guarantee that there isn't an obfuscated back door or malicious code exploit that was overlooked.

Comment Re:It was dry, but not BAD like Phantom Menace (Score 1) 351

A few of the many, many things I really don't remember from "The Hobbit" or ANY of the corollary writings: Bilbo killing an orc during the fir tree scene. An amazingly drawn-out fight with orcs during the barrel escape. Orc battle in Laketown. The ridiculous Radagast scene with the Rhosgobel Rabbits which even my eight year old daughter thought was stupid. The movie Peter Jackson presented was an adaptation of "The Hobbit" inasmuch as it DID contain a hobbit, thirteen dwarves, a wizard, and a dragon, but that's as far as the similarities go.

Comment Re:we're already close to that! (Score 1) 380

When we're on the road we don't stop for an hour anywhere typically. So what you're saying is realistically it'll add 2 to 2.5 hours to my trip, since I'll have to find a power station with a bay open that I can use for a full hour, and hope it's not limited to a 10 minute top-off because of demand.

Comment I've got this covered. (Score 1) 188

The universe DID expand, immediately collapse into another super-massive black hole, and we're all just echoes in the subsequent Hawking radiation that's been released. The "accelerating universe" phenomenon is actually our local space/time having been slowed down by this super-massive black hole rather than distant galaxies speeding up. Make the Nobel Prize out to "Varka, of the Hill People."

Slashdot Top Deals

The first 90% of a project takes 90% of the time, the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time.

Working...