Please create an account to participate in the Slashdot moderation system

 



Forgot your password?
typodupeerror

Comment Re: I am not a physicist but... (Score 3, Interesting) 130

An interesting trend to watch, even if this one doesn't turn out to be verified, is that China is where most of the the significant energy research is happening.

The US will be buying most of its advanced energy tech from China in just a couple decades. A couple decades ago that would have seemed unconscionable.

Say what you want about the relative historical value of the two governments, but one stymies progress with fear-based regulations and denial and the other takes the engineering approach to solving problems. Only one of those can drive prosperity - the leads to despair.

Comment Re:Roll-back as in play-back? (Score 1) 66

Can't speak for the OP, but the whole debt-based monetary system is one colossal screw! Sovereign governments give up their monetary power and allow a group of private corporations called "banks" to create the money. Then, the government uses force to coerce the citizenry into using the privately created debt-money. Since the whole money supply, minus a tiny amount of physical currency is really just a series of debt obligations and the banking system is a closed loop, banks are collecting interest on money that they created out of thin air. Via this special power, bankers are permitted to suck wealth out of the productive sectors of society and all people who are doing the real work and creating real wealth. Unless you're a banker, government employee or are operating off the grid, you're getting the screw as well. Watch the short film "Money as Debt"(on youtube) if you're unaware of the "bank screw".

Yes, I'm confused about the Deposit/Investment thing because the government repealed the Glass-Steagall Act, thereby removing the firewall between deposit banks and other financial institutions. Also confused because Goldman Sachs was an investment bank, but in 2008, government waved a magic wand and turned them into a deposit bank so that they could cash in on TARP and Federal Reserve bailout $$$. Even more confused because the FDIC has a documented procedure and legal obligation for handling insolvent banks and the law was flagrantly ignored.

Comment Charge them in the USA with RICO violations (Score 1) 319

"Big websites can pay a fee not to be blocked. And it is these proceeds that finance the Cologne-based company and its 49-strong workforce."

Pay up or be blocked - sounds like a RICO violation right there. I bet some legal fuckery could be twisted out of one of our treaties to make it happen.

Comment Re:Would similar arguments to that of the NRA appl (Score 1) 269

The NRA has accepted the National Firearms Act of 1934, the Federal Firearms Act of 1968, the National Instant Checks System(NICS) and all of the state level licensing/permit bullshit. Does that mean that N. Korea should accept USA government restrictions on its weapons programs? Your verbiage suggesting that someone (USA?) is "letting" NK develop and acquire weapons is rather telling. As if it's up to the USA government to rule over the world and tell countries what they are allowed to have.

The USA government and media will of course paint NK as the aggressor for its nuke and ICBM tests. Given the USA government's insane foreign policy of bombing, invasion, regime change and global military imperialism however, I don't blame any other country for ramping up its military capabilities.
What would you do as leader of an "Axis of Evil" country?

Comment Re:You don't need cryptocurrency (Score 1) 265

Nonsense. They're just ahead of the curve, the same way the porn industry is always ahead of the curve in video technology. (Multiple camera angle DVDs? Yeah, first used in porno...)

it will all become mainstream down the road. You may think it's only of interest to an undesirable fringe of society, but reality is they're the early adopters because they are social pioneers.

Slashdot Top Deals

The first 90% of a project takes 90% of the time, the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time.

Working...